Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTO LOANS MORE LENIENT?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AUTO LOANS MORE LENIENT?

I've been told and thought I'd read here that auto loans are much different (dare I say more open) with people who've had credit problems.  I was turned down by my bank for a small "personal loan" they said on the letter because of late payments on CC's and bankruptcy, but on my credit reports which I've recently purchased through myFico both my previous car loans look excellent, only one 30 day late payment on the car that I have now that is paid off (right around the time I paid it off).  Do they look at things like that more than other loan departments (ie personal loans, home loans..)? I also make more money now than I've ever made. I'm attempting now to get the CC's caught up in a debt management program, working well with them just taking the money out automatically around the 17th and paying Cap 1.  I really want to get into a new car, but looks like it will have to wait, but want to try and get as much info now, and it really sucks that everyone that you pay things for "on time" doesn't report or have to report to the credit bureaus, cause I'd have 2 more positives on my credit report with my fridge that's a monthly rental and rent a center which I bought my TV from a couple years ago and am almost done paying off on a living room set. SUCKS cause it would be too more goodies Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AUTO LOANS MORE LENIENT?

Those consumer finance account would probably not help your score.

I have never had a problem getting an auto loan even when I had "bad" credit.
Then again- I have never gone into a dealership and even tried a zero down auto loan-

Try a GW letter on that late payment.
Message 2 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

hipgal0825 wrote:
I've been told and thought I'd read here that auto loans are much different (dare I say more open) with people who've had credit problems.  I was turned down by my bank for a small "personal loan" they said on the letter because of late payments on CC's and bankruptcy, but on my credit reports which I've recently purchased through myFico both my previous car loans look excellent, only one 30 day late payment on the car that I have now that is paid off (right around the time I paid it off).  Do they look at things like that more than other loan departments (ie personal loans, home loans..)? I also make more money now than I've ever made. I'm attempting now to get the CC's caught up in a debt management program, working well with them just taking the money out automatically around the 17th and paying Cap 1.  I really want to get into a new car, but looks like it will have to wait, but want to try and get as much info now, and it really sucks that everyone that you pay things for "on time" doesn't report or have to report to the credit bureaus, cause I'd have 2 more positives on my credit report with my fridge that's a monthly rental and rent a center which I bought my TV from a couple years ago and am almost done paying off on a living room set. SUCKS cause it would be too more goodies Smiley Sad

There is a type scoring called auto-enhanced FICO scoring. This is a good read.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto Loans are definitely more lenient.  there are so many types of financing available, that pretty much anyone can get approved.  The only concern would be the interest rate.  I work for a large auto finance company and we approve anyone from 520 - 800 +.  It just depends on the circumstance.  But especially if you have prev well paid autos, you should be fine.  Autos are much easier to get than any other loans.

Good Luck!
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks jtinfl07.  Yes the two auto loans were well paid and I've been at my address for 5 years and my job almost 2 years. That plus my bankruptcy is 8 years old this year.  So it's not like it's a recent bankruptcy and the car I have now that is paid off I got after I filed my bankruptcy, a couple months after as a matter of fact. So I'm hoping that will all weigh in my favor toward getting me into a car. I also was wondering how the "trade in" thing works. I'd like to put $1500-2000 down, but use as little as my actual cash (me writing them a check) as possible. My car (1996) is not in the greatest condition. I looked up the Kelley Blue Book info and mine seems like it would be "good." It said I would probably get about $1700, I'm estimating about $1000-1500. I'm assuming trading your car in is like you writing a check for whatever the amount is they allow you.  If I can swing it that way, and maybe they'll have some good "cash back" incentive going at the time too and I can put down a nice down payment on it without using a lot of my own money.   All that while trying to clean up the credit card which is going well right now. Slowly getting back on track Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.  In most cases, a trade-in qualifies as a down payment.  Depending on the state you are in, there are multiple lenders out there.  If I were you, I would apply....I think you'll be surprised.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm gonna wait till around October or early November. I don't even necessarily have to have a 2008, I'd be happy getting a 2007 and I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) that October-November time period is when the next year models start arriving at the dealerships so I might get a better deal on the 2007's their trying to get rid of. Smiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah, I'm gonna wait till around October or early November. I don't even necessarily have to have a 2008, I'd be happy getting a 2007 and I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) that October-November time period is when the next year models start arriving at the dealerships so I might get a better deal on the 2007's their trying to get rid of. Smiley Very Happy

I have found Nov to be the best time of year to buy as well.

I would expect some VERY aggressive pricing coming down soon.
What brand are you looking at?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Timothy. I've narrowed it down to the Honda CRV or the Jeep Compass.  But recently I've seen the Saturn Vue and the Mazda Tribute and they seemed kinda nice too. I really like the CRV and Compass though and the prices on them seem really good.  Even the base model seems to have what I want standard (I'm pretty simple)

Message Edited by hipgal0825 on 09-07-2007 12:20 PM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.