Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding user for mortgage.

tag
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Adding user for mortgage.

Hi all,

We are going to apply for mortgage loan next month but my husbands score needs to be about 20 points higher for a better interest rate, I am not working and it will be based on his income. Would adding him as an authorized user on my Discover card help?  My card has about 6% utilization and has perfect payment history.  All of our credit cards are paid off  except my Discover and I can pay it off now. Will adding him as an authorized user affect negatively while trying for a mortgage loan?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Adding user for mortgage.

Yes. If this is the only card of his reflecting a balance I believe it would optimize his score by leaving a small balance on it. My SIL added me as an AU to her BoA Card with 11 years of perfect payment history and 9% utilization. I received a 25 pt bump but YMMV. Good luck!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, no, maybe. It really depends on the number of, and the ages of any of his other accounts. Without additional information its hard to say. I ask because you will want to raise the average age of accts not lower them.
Message 3 of 4
me12345
Frequent Contributor

@cjane1 wrote:

Hi all,

We are going to apply for mortgage loan next month but my husbands score needs to be about 20 points higher for a better interest rate, I am not working and it will be based on his income. Would adding him as an authorized user on my Discover card help?  My card has about 6% utilization and has perfect payment history.  All of our credit cards are paid off  except my Discover and I can pay it off now. Will adding him as an authorized user affect negatively while trying for a mortgage loan?

Based on the limited information that you provided, I would say yes it would help, how much? you would have to wait and see to find out.  However, I don't really see a down side to it....I would do it.

Thanks,

VA & FHA down to 550...
Licensed Senior Mortgage Loan Officer in the states of Arizona & California
Specializing in VA, FHA, USDA & Conventional loans. My company is also licensed in 12 states, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Utah,
Alaska, New Mexico, Texas, Illinois and Florida
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.