Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on DTI and credit score

tag
mom2girls
Valued Member

Advice on DTI and credit score

My husband and I about to close the sale of our current home and have a preapproval for new construction.  We are told 7 months to build new home.  My questions are these will it help or hurt to pay off all our debt (two cars, a loan, and credit cards) with the money from our sale of current home.  I know it would drop our DTI but I am not sure how it will affect our credit scores.  Its possible house could be built within 4-6 months which would put us in that "no major transactions for 6mth period".

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Advice on DTI and credit score

@mom2girls wrote:

My husband and I about to close the sale of our current home and have a preapproval for new construction.  We are told 7 months to build new home.  My questions are these will it help or hurt to pay off all our debt (two cars, a loan, and credit cards) with the money from our sale of current home.  I know it would drop our DTI but I am not sure how it will affect our credit scores.  Its possible house could be built within 4-6 months which would put us in that "no major transactions for 6mth period".

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

What is your current revolving debt utilization ?   Paying down revolving debt is likely to increase your FICO score, whereas paying installment debt won't.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 11
mom2girls
Valued Member

Our current revolving debt is about 50% utilization.  I know that is high and was using the credit for repairs and readying current home for market knowing we would be able to pay the revolving debt off with sale of home. 

I know paying down the revolving debt with boost scores but if I pay car loans off and decrease our DTI will this hurt our scores?  Will lenders look negatively if it drops our scores but improves our DTI?

Thanks again for your response

Message 3 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@mom2girls wrote:

Our current revolving debt is about 50% utilization.  I know that is high and was using the credit for repairs and readying current home for market knowing we would be able to pay the revolving debt off with sale of home. 

I know paying down the revolving debt with boost scores but if I pay car loans off and decrease our DTI will this hurt our scores?  Will lenders look negatively if it drops our scores but improves our DTI?

Thanks again for your response

Paying your revolving utilization down will give you a large FICO score boost, but paying installment debt, such as car loans, will not.   However if you need to improve your DTI and you can pay it, then by all means you should pay the car loans.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 11
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Did your loan officer pull a credit report and what are the scores? Since you express concern about scores, my assumption is that you know what they are. Bringing down your credit card utilization is a good thing and any underwriter will see that as a positive factor. Prepaying some of your installment loan will not affect your DTI because your payment will remain the same while your payoff period will be shorter. Both DTI and scores are important. Do you know what they are now and are you willing to share.

Let's say you are going after an FHA mortgage, a 640+ score will be good and a 660 won't do much for you. On the other hand, if you are at 625, then it will be very beneficial to get it to 640 or better.

The answer to your question is ... it depends.

Message 5 of 11
topa
Regular Contributor

FICO scores do not consider incomes, so the income part of the DTI is a mute point in terms of scores. Low utilization of outstanding credit is another matter as others have pointed out.

Starting Score: 600 (Jan 2014)
Current MyFICO Scores: EQ: 712 | TU: 706 | EX: 702
Current Bureau Scores: EQ Beacon 5.0: 682 | TU FICO Classic 04: 740 | EX FICO V2: 706
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
mom2girls
Valued Member

Our LO pulled and I'm at 632, I know paying off cc debt will most likely bump score. We have enough equity that we can pay off in entirety our cc debt and both car loans and still have a nice chunk of change in bank. In paying off auto loans it will lower DTI, I'm just scared paying off will also ding my score.
Message 7 of 11
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@pay all omom2girls wrote:
Our LO pulled and I'm at 632, I know paying off cc debt will most likely bump score. We have enough equity that we can pay off in entirety our cc debt and both car loans and still have a nice chunk of change in bank. In paying off auto loans it will lower DTI, I'm just scared paying off will also ding my score.

pay all of the cc balances to $0 except for one, leave that with 3% utilization. if your worried about dti, pay the loans off now! DO NOT WAIT....the reason i say do not wait as this will give the loans enough time to report paid off. it will have very little to no impact paying off an installment loan early. point in case....i refi'd my car during home loan process which in turn made one loan report paid and another installment loan freshly opened...the end result was a 6 point increase across the board. again ymmv this is just what happened with me

Message 8 of 11
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you have 2 auto loans, if this is the case you can pay one off helping your DTI and leaving your scores in tact, may actually be even better as less installment loans.

Good luck!
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 9 of 11
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

What revolving % do you recommend to see the biggest leap WRT actual fico (not fako)?

I'm around 28% right now.

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.