Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on a collection while getting a mortgage

tag
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

Advice on a collection while getting a mortgage

Portfolio recovery was on my credit report. I offered a pfd, but they didn't take it. I disputed it with EX 3 weeks ago for having the wrong DOFD and they deleted on all 3 credit agencies!

The problem you ask? We are in the mortgage process and I can't have these popping back up again. How can I make sure they stay off the report? It falls off in April anyways. Should I call and pay it while its off my report to keep it from coming back?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice on a collection while getting a mortgage

From my understanding that if you send a dv to the CA they can't do anything for 30 days.... I'd let that be my first step. I am no expert but that's the info I learned on rebuild my credit. Go over there n ask this question if u want an detail answer

Message 2 of 7
cocomadd
Regular Contributor

If you find an answer to this please let me know.  I am in the same boat.

Exp/647-Fako
EQ/629-Fico
Trans/656-Fako
NEW SCORES
EX/665
EQ/642
Trans/656 Fako

This is new to me but I will take the 750+ challenge! Goal by May 2014
Message 3 of 7
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

It's very hard to say without knowing where you are in the mortgage process.  My first reaction is to let sleeping dogs lie.  If you are now in underwriting, you may get by before it can report again.  If you pay them, there is still a chance they will report it as a paid collection.  A collection isnt a deal breaker per say.  A new collection however, is.  The amount of the collection is also important.  I had 2 collections, both were over 5 years old and I closed last month with a 3.75 rate.  My best advice is to be upfront with your broker/banker and they can advise you considering your timeline.  Keep in mind that many companies will run your credit just before closing...mine did not. Probably because from start to finish, it took about two and a half weeks. 

Message 4 of 7
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

In my case, we just submitted an offer today. When credit was pulled for our pre-approval, the collection was on there, then it disappeared. The LO had no problem with the collection there, but if it pops up again, it will appear new. They will pull a. A credit report within 10 days of closing. That is the beginning of september!
Message 5 of 7
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

Fx it stays away!

Message 6 of 7
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

It will not appear "new".  It will still have the dofd as the old date.  If you got your pre-approval with it there.....let it be. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.