Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on the USDA loan..

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Advice on the USDA loan..

My husbands EQ score is a 558, but we just had a 30 day late payment from december removed and we settled a charged off credit card that was supposed to update as a $0 balance and settled, but instead it updated to a $96 balance. He got a 47 point jump from the card going from $368 to $96, but it should of reported $0, and they said it should update next month, so when the 30 day late falls off and the card reports a $0 balance I expect another jump. He also has 2 collections falling off one in May, one in July, not sure if it is typical to see a jump when 2 collections fall off or not. That will leave him with a repo from 2008 and a verizon wireless collections with Midland from 2007 that is actually his dads account, they have the same first and last name and lived at the same address and there have been several of his dads collections show up on my husbands CR. One of the collections that is fixing to fall off is a verizon home phone collection that was his dads. We disputed them and were only able to get a directv collection and medical bills that weren't his removed. I'm not really sure what to do about the verizon wireless acct since its his dads, I may have him call the CRA to see what they can do. But with only the repo and verizon wireless collection would we have a shot? He also has an auto loan he's had for 14 months that has been on time every month with the exception of one month because we mailed it and wrote the po box number down wrong but they agreed to remove the 30 day late so that will be coming off soon. There is a business called signature homes that builds new homes under USDA loans, those are the only types of loans they do, and i've been talking with the lady who is in charge of the credit aspect and she said you have to have a 640 for the direct (which we qualify for income wise) and a 620 for the gaurunteed. But she also said if its not a 640 and there are no collections then you can normally get approved, but we will have the repo still (which we can't pay, it's $7400) but i've also read on this forum, there is no score requirement for the USDA loan... it goes more by your credit history. The lady won't even put our application through to the USDA until the score is a 640 I don't think, or maybe if we're close to a 640 with only the repo on his credit she will, not sure. So part of me just wants to go through the actual USDA and pick out a house, instead of going through them and having one built. Any tips, advice, experience etc.? Oh, and he was approved for a secured cap one card we will be paying the deposit and getting next week so that will help boost his score some too over the next couple months, along with (possibly) the 2 collections falling off and the 30 day late coming off and the charged off credit card reporting $0 and settled instead of $96 and bad.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
playboy
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice on the USDA loan..

The 640 requirement seems to be your lender's overlay requirement.

Starting Score: EX 575/TU 534/EQ 570
Current Scores per Myfico: (As of 12-14-13) EX 690/EQ 685/TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 8
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Yea she said they work with one lender for the direct loan, and the guaranteed loan you get your own lender (they help you find one) so im just curious if we went through the actual USDA directly once these 2 collections fall off and the 30 day late falls off and the credit card reports a $0 balance if we have a shot. I'd love to have a new house built through this company, I just don't know how long it's gonna take to go from a 558 to 640. I mean he did just get a 47 point jump from the credit card going from $368 to $96, so he should get another when he goes from $96 to $0, and hopefully he'll get a jump from these 2 collections aging off, and a small jump from the 30 day late coming off. Just wondering how strict the USDA is with loans. Would they take him into consideration with only a repo on his report, and an auto loan he's been on time with for 14 months.

Message 3 of 8
playboy
Regular Contributor

I'm not sure that he'll get a 47 point jum going from $96 to $0.  There have been several threads here recently on the USDA Direct program.  Definitely read those threads.  I have no experience with Direct only Guranteed.

Message 4 of 8
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@playboy wrote:

I'm not sure that he'll get a 47 point jum going from $96 to $0.  There have been several threads here recently on the USDA Direct program.  Definitely read those threads.  I have no experience with Direct only Guranteed.

No he got a 47 point jump on March 22 when the credit card went from $368 to $96, so i'm expecting him to get another small jump when it goes from $96 to $0 Smiley Wink is the qualfying process a lot different between the direct loan and gaurunteed loan?

Message 5 of 8
playboy
Regular Contributor

All that I know is that with Direct you go through USDA and Guranteed is through lender's that USDA qualifies. 

Message 6 of 8
203bravo
Established Contributor

There are different income limits for the direct and guaranteed loans.  Direct loans are for very low - low income based on area average.  Guaranteed loans allow for up to 115% of area average.

Message 7 of 8
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

bump-anyone have any advice or experience with the direct loan?? Just curious to see if approval is a possility with this type of CR...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.