cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affordable Housing Limiting Occupancy and Picking My place, Is it Normal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Affordable Housing Limiting Occupancy and Picking My place, Is it Normal?

Does anyone have a experience of homes available through the affordable housing program, not section 8 voucher, where they decide in new construction where a certain amount of properties go to low income or moderate income individuals if you get the smallest sized home and also the amount of bedrooms that one qualifies for. I thought a person gets to decide the amount of bedrooms, I have 3 people in my household. 

I also told them I need a 2 bedroom with a den since I have two teenagers of different genders that should not sleep in the same room as well as me and they say that I can only be in the minimal sq home offered with 2 bedrooms without a den.  They are limiting it to a condo home under 950 sq while they have other options that are larger. Is that typical for anyone with experience in this area.

This is through Affordable Homes of NJ, they are also giving 72 hours to have all paperwork on and get credit check etc, seems kind of rushed. Wondering if this is how this type of system works.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
jules0580
Regular Contributor

Re: Affordable Housing Limiting Occupancy and Picking My place, Is it Normal?

For NJ affordable housing I don't know if it's the same now but sometime back a few years ago my best friends mother was purchasing and had been on the wait list for years when it comes up the time is very limited before you are passed on. In her instance she was single but from what I recall there were limits of how big of a place you could purchase in regards to condos based on family size. Single houses were different but in town house/condo communities it was restricted. That was Mercer county though not sure if that's true every where but I'm sure you could find the exact rules for your county online they were readily available when her mother was moving and I researched for them.
Message 2 of 3
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Affordable Housing Limiting Occupancy and Picking My place, Is it Normal?

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone have a experience of homes available through the affordable housing program, not section 8 voucher, where they decide in new construction where a certain amount of properties go to low income or moderate income individuals if you get the smallest sized home and also the amount of bedrooms that one qualifies for. I thought a person gets to decide the amount of bedrooms, I have 3 people in my household. 

I also told them I need a 2 bedroom with a den since I have two teenagers of different genders that should not sleep in the same room as well as me and they say that I can only be in the minimal sq home offered with 2 bedrooms without a den.  They are limiting it to a condo home under 950 sq while they have other options that are larger. Is that typical for anyone with experience in this area.

This is through Affordable Homes of NJ, they are also giving 72 hours to have all paperwork on and get credit check etc, seems kind of rushed. Wondering if this is how this type of system works.

First yes, this is how the system works. Of course the laws are different in every state, but they can dictate the SF, model, and even location in the building of which unit they will assign to a family. And you can bet your prospective landlord is following the letter of the law.

So usually it is 2 persons/BR.

And if you want the unit, definitely respond way before the deadline because you better believe they have a waitlist. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.