Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent Commission/Rebates

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

Agent Commission/Rebates

I was working with an agent who hasn't been very helpfu and I have done most of the searching for my own placel.... a friend of a friend took my info, and found me 20+ homes that this other guy missed, is way more helpful and finally offered to split her commission with me?

That sounds like a great deal, but I am trying to figure out is that legal? I did a google search but I can't seem to find too much info. I live in GA if that helps....

**edited title because of some additional research into what options are

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Agent Commission

Unless you signed some sort of agreement with the first realtor, there is nothing that binds you to his/her services. Regarding splitting the commission with the realtor, as long as you figure out a way to make it work, I don't see a problem. The realtor will end up taking the full commission though and paying you back after.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you feel the realtor is not doing his/her job even with a signed contract you can terminate your relationship but you may need to speak with the company broker. My realtor has also been rather useless and never informs us of anything unless she needs it that day. We're scheduled to close in May and after the sellers made a few minor repairs, we inquired as to what was next. Her reponse was "Now we just wait til closing..." What about title services, title insurance, etc etc?? We're first time home buyers and nothing has really been explained to us. I wanted to fire her but since we're under contract she'd still get paid.

Message 3 of 5
rebroker212
Established Member

Seems like the realtor did her job, after all you are under contract. At this point your mortgage broker and attorney should be handling the items mentioned
Message 4 of 5
chan85
Established Contributor

Just to clarify, I am not under contract and had not signed anything with the first agent. We went to look at homes Monday and he was completely unprepared. He showed up with basically only the list I had sent him from Trulia (which i know now can be way out of date),  he hadn't checked to see if the properties were still active or unoccupied. So we drove from house to house, I sat in the car and he called the number on the sign in the yard or knocked on the door. I could have done that myself! After we went to the last property that was occupied, he said he rushed and didnt have time to get a good list together of what I wanted and tried to make it seem like I had put pressure on him, when in reality I said that I would like to go see some homes on Monday if possible, but I was available most Sundays and Mondays. I told him that I would have gladly waited to come look and give him more time to prepare if he had simply mentioned it. I told him again what I was looking for, specifying I was NOT looking for condos. Two days later he sends me a list with practically ALL condos.

I am not a very patient person and I don't like having to repeat myself multiple times. I am very Type A, like to be in control. I need someone who has a similar personality to help me through this process because I am not qualified to be my own agent, so thats the next best option! This first agent wasn't cutting it. I spent 45 minutes talking to the new agent last night  and she eased my fears about this whole process and I feel like our personalities work better together. Shes very no nonsense and explained to me that she will fight like nobody else to get me a good home at a great price. She sent me probably 6-8 emails with listings in less than 12 hours, made plans to take me out Monday and offered up a game plan on how we narrow down homes so as not to waste my time. Did I mention she is ready to give birth to her second child some time probably in the next 10 days and has a toddler and STILL managed to get more info to me? She said she may have a baby strapped to her chest but we will definitely be checking out homes! The first agent has sent me about 2 emails with very few listings that met any of my needs, and I have spent hours researching listings and found PLENTY that he seemed to miss for some reason, so I sent those to him to make arrangments to view. I was doing all the work.

Even if I she doesn't give the rebate or is unable to because my lender won't allow it, she has earned it at this point!

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.