cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent flipped out?

tag
Gina1

Agent flipped out?

Last month I saw an agent about my house (I want to move out of state), and after seeing depressing comps, she suggested we do a short sale (112K owed in two mortgage loans). Since I am still able to pay, I am nervous about calling my two lenders - I am clueless as to what to say, and don't want to obliterate any chance of short sale approval by saying the wrong thing. So I still have not called them.

Anyhow, after reading these forums, I learned that it's vital to have an agent well-versed in short sales. So, I texted her, "... how many short sales have you successfully closed in this state?" I thought that was a polite and relevant question. Here's her response: "feel free to go with another agent if you prefer... I've listed/ bought/ sold short sale properties before... I am under contract with my buyer now etc."

It sounded like she was upset that I asked about her short sale experience. Does this strike you as odd? Was my question rude? I mean, I figured that if I was the agent and someone asked me that, I would clearly outline how many short sales I completed, where, and when. She seemed great when she met us, and I wanted her as the agent. Plus, she has had plenty of chances to back out before (if the price was too low), so this is very puzzling. Please let me know what your take is on this.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Agent flipped out?

@Gina1 wrote:

Last month I saw an agent about my house (I want to move out of state), and after seeing depressing comps, she suggested we do a short sale (112K owed in two mortgage loans). Since I am still able to pay, I am nervous about calling my two lenders - I am clueless as to what to say, and don't want to obliterate any chance of short sale approval by saying the wrong thing. So I still have not called them.

Anyhow, after reading these forums, I learned that it's vital to have an agent well-versed in short sales. So, I texted her, "... how many short sales have you successfully closed in this state?" I thought that was a polite and relevant question. Here's her response: "feel free to go with another agent if you prefer... I've listed/ bought/ sold short sale properties before... I am under contract with my buyer now etc."

It sounded like she was upset that I asked about her short sale experience. Does this strike you as odd? Was my question rude? I mean, I figured that if I was the agent and someone asked me that, I would clearly outline how many short sales I completed, where, and when. She seemed great when she met us, and I wanted her as the agent. Plus, she has had plenty of chances to back out before (if the price was too low), so this is very puzzling. Please let me know what your take is on this.

I am a millenium baby and texting has been one of my biggest pet peeve's.  It is the most incensitive unprofessional ways to get and ask information to a certain degree.  I am still a firm believer in meeting over lunch and discussing options.  Your agent could of took this text in many different ways, you never know how the person is perceiving the text on the other end.  Yes if I was the agent I would of took a fence to this as well, why is this client texting me insteading of calling or meeting or asking these questions up front.  You have questions about my professionalism and sort but you send it through a text message.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want to know where you're taking the fence. And why?
Message 3 of 28
Gina1

I am unsure as to what you mean. Please let me know.

Message 4 of 28
Gina1

I did! Believe me, I detest texting too! The first thing I did after getting those horrible comps was to call her - I wanted to discuss the short sale in more detail. I got vm, and so I requested when I could talk to her, and what would be a good time. She texted me that I needed to contact the lenders. That was pretty much it. And then this.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was referring to Pway's "I would of took a fence" line. I'm on my phone, so quoting is not exactly easy.
Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just want to know where you're taking the fence. And why?

dansamy: Smiley Very Happy

Gina1 - I slightly agree with the second poster. I know you meant to get some very relevant info but it obviously came across to the agent as a knock on her skills. You never know what state of mind she is in today. If I were you, I would just call her and apologize and explain that your intention was to gather more information in order to make a decision about the short sale, not to questio her experience.  Having said that, I also agree with you that she might have called you to clarify why you needed this piece of info instead of biting your head off. To continue the convo through text at this point I think would make things worse.

Message 7 of 28
Gina1

Are you trying to say "took offense?" Absolutely, I am clueless as to why she took offense to me asking her about her short sale experience.

And I hate texting too - but she did not return calls and the only way that she seemed to respond was via text - so I texted her.

Message 8 of 28
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was referring to Pway's "I would of took a fence" line. I'm on my phone, so quoting is not exactly easy.

I said that because as I stated I am one that does not believe in texting when it comes to taking care of business.  Texting can lead to misunderstanding, feelings, emotions and etc, no one knows how the receiever of the text is going to repsond.  It is always taught to tread carefully when texting especially in a case like this.  I personally would of left a nice voicemail and waiting for the call back.  That is like your boss texting you saying are you qualified to do your job?

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 9 of 28
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

If she is having you contact the lenders, she is not very good at short sales, at least that is my opinion.

Short sale process usually start with an offer on the house, I've never seen a lender agree to a shortsale without a sale pending.

Of course, my experience is in CA, might be different in other states.

Dan

Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.