cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative mortgage scoring question

tag
valaub

Alternative mortgage scoring question

If my credit is reasonably good and I can go to a lender that I already used (Countrywide) and show that I have made ALL payments with no lates on the mortgage, will that make any difference at all? (We got the house 4 years ago and used my wifes parents as they have remarkably higher credit scores which correlate to lower rates).

I can show every payment on time via autodraft. My credit has improved dramatically, but I'm guessing a national lender will not care in the least. Am I wrong? Other alternatives?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Alternative mortgage scoring question

I don't completely understand your question... what are you looking to accomplish?
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

valaub wrote:
If my credit is reasonably good and I can go to a lender that I already used (Countrywide) and show that I have made ALL payments with no lates on the mortgage, will that make any difference at all? (We got the house 4 years ago and used my wifes parents as they have remarkably higher credit scores which correlate to lower rates).

I can show every payment on time via autodraft. My credit has improved dramatically, but I'm guessing a national lender will not care in the least. Am I wrong? Other alternatives?

I am assuming you have had some baddies that lower your score.  Was the loan in your name 4 years ago?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some lenders will use an alternative scoring for refi or new purchases if you can show responsibility for debt for at least 12 mos.  My girlfriend was approved using utility bills and a statement from a previous landlord because she had no credit to speak of.
Message 4 of 6
valaub

I realized after getting to the responses that I wrote this poorly and my question was very unclear. Here is a (hopefully) better version.

The house we live in is in my wife's parents names. All payments come from MY checking account and I have all the statements to back that up. We have really improved our scores over the past 4 years, but not quite enough, I'm assuming, to qualify for the best levels of mortgag rates.

My question is:

Will my previous lender (or any  lender) factor in that I've made all the payments on time and from my checking account? I know most just go by scores and util but are there any adjustments that can be made on a case-by-case basis?
Message 5 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Because you've been making the payments from your account it'll show you have a "vested interest" in this property and you'll be able to refinance instead of purchase.  Plus there are loan programs, such as FHA, which will include non-traditional trade lines to qualify (such as your payments on the mortgage from your checking account, utilities, insurance, etc.), and isn't score sensitive (just credit history sensitive).  If your situation is borderline, meaning that an underwriter could either approve it or not approve it depending on what mood they are in and if they've had their cup of coffee in the morning, then the fact that you've been making the mortgage payments from your checking account could push their opinion to the approve your loan rather than deny it.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.