cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I on the track to a 640 score for a mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I on the track to a 640 score for a mortgage?

Hello everyone, me and my wife would like to purchase our first home in the next 6 months or so, we are both 21 and new to the whole credit thing but we quickly realized it was needed in order to make everyday life easier.

I opened my first 2 lines in january of 2012 with a $7k car loan and a $1k credit card with my credit union, since then I have traded cars up to a '12 mustang which I owe about 20k on, my current limit on the credit union card is $2.5k and I also have 2 capital one cards one with a $500 limit and the other which had a $300 limit but was just upped to $500. I have had flawless payment history on all of my accounts and I plan to keep it that way for the next 6 months.

In December my credit union pulled my equifax which I believe she said was a 624 or so which let me purchase the new mustang and this was when all 3 of my credit cards were right at the max utilization. I now have a $900 remainder on the $2.5k limit card and both capital one cards are paid off what score can I expect in the next 6 months?

Oh and I forgot to mention my score is still showing my old trade in not being paid off yet so it appears I have $14k more in vehicle debt that isn't really there. How long does it take for that to come off?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jadeite788
Established Contributor

Re: Am I on the track to a 640 score for a mortgage?

With  your credit card utilization its 36%, you need to get it below 9%.  I saw the most jump on mine when I had 1%.  You can do that in one month tops.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 4
jadeite788
Established Contributor

should not be spending no more than $225

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 4
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Your old car loan should show paid off way before you apply six months from now so I wouldn't worry about that.

As far as score improvement due to utilization goes, your score is updated every month based on your balance at that time. So you could keep your cards maxed until the reporting date, one month before applying for a mortgage, and your will increase. I do not recommend this. I recommend getting into the habit of paying down your credit card balances every month.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.