Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any high-risk lenders left?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any high-risk lenders left?

So, my credit is a mess (see here http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Little-Help-Here/td-p/4972756) .  As of 05/12, my mortgage scores are 558/545/569.  After a recent promotion, my income is just shy of 60K/year.

Are there any lenders left that would lend me a mortgage?  Unfortunately, my promotion came with a transfer to a new city, I'm having a hell of a time finding a place in a safe area that will rent to me with my credit.... and honestly even with high interest rates, rent prices are so astronomically high here, I can easily get a mortage for half those amounts (and significantly less than the extended-stay hotel I am currently residing at).  Are there any lenders out there who may be willing to look at a change in life circumstances as a reason to overlook past debt problems?  I can get a 1 bedroom condo in a reasonable area for about $65-75k, which I could likely have paid off very early.

[EDIT]

I have no idea if this information is helpful or not, but I do work for, like, the largest title company in the nation, and can get some major discounts on closing costs and etc.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any high-risk lenders left?

When my credit was shot, I had good luck with renting from private landlords. Usually you can find them on Craigslist or ask in Facebook groups. I am not sure about the high risk lender, but my scores were similar to y ours in November and we are buying a house this month. I paid off collections and made sure I had three credit cards with one reporting a small balance. These things combined shot my scores up to 675. Good luck!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are looking for a long term solution to a short term problem. It will cost you significantly less to rent at a higher rate while you fix your credit then it will be to finance at a higher rate for 30 years. Jumping the gun can also put you into a house that may not be the be the best deal long term as well.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. Look for a private rental and work on your credit. Scoring is not the only factor that determines your mortgage approval. Scoring is more like a threshold number for lenders to even consider you seriously. A significant factor is current debt and most recent payment history.

A private landlord is more willing to hear your case, and not solely rely on your credit score if they even pull it.

My scores were pretty much just like yours in February & I've been able to raise my mortgage scores 60-75 points since then. So it can be done!
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as private landlords go: I'm beginning to think they do not exist in my target area.  I've driven countless hours through neighborhoods looking for "For Rent" signs, I check Craigslist so often I probably have the majority of the repetive adds from the management companies memorized, and I've even tried offering the first three months rent up front... No bites.

As for long term solution to short term problem....

I've done the math, and even at double the highest rate I've seen for a mortgage, paying exactly what I'm paying now at the extended stay hotel I'm currently at (and have been at since April 2, during which time I've tried I don't know how many apartments and other rental properties)... I can pay off a  "30 year" 65K mortgage on a 1 bedroom condo in 2.5 years, per my amortization spreadsheet.  If I cut it down to just the average 1 bedroom rent in the area, and I can pay it off in 4.9 years.  With my income and my meager expenses (other than this fricking hotel eating up about a huge chunk of my income), even the high rates seem a drop in the bucket.  And I can always refinance in the future once my score is higher, if I were to choose to drag it out longer.

I realize it's not a perfect solution... but it seems a heckuva lot better than what I'm working with now.  I definitely understand why it's not the best idea for a lot of people, ,But, if I could just find a lender, I do believe it is the best solution for me.

[Edit] I really screwed up some numbers in there.  My fingers aren't working property, it's late.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although, if anyone does have any other ideas, I'll gladly at least try to consider them.  I will admit it is getting hard to think clearly while paying for this 225 square foot "studio" - and paying so much for it I can't afford to spend any time anywhere else.  I'm going stir crazy and being denied for apartment after apartment after condo after townhome... is really becoming demoralizing.  And, all those applications are in and of themselves really adding up in cost.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you searched rooms for rent? While maybe not ideal, this could be an excellent short term option. Lower rent plus it allows you to work on the credit issues and save money.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, my credit is a mess (see here http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Little-Help-Here/td-p/4972756) .  As of 05/12, my mortgage scores are 558/545/569.  After a recent promotion, my income is just shy of 60K/year.

Are there any lenders left that would lend me a mortgage?  Unfortunately, my promotion came with a transfer to a new city, I'm having a hell of a time finding a place in a safe area that will rent to me with my credit.... and honestly even with high interest rates, rent prices are so astronomically high here, I can easily get a mortage for half those amounts (and significantly less than the extended-stay hotel I am currently residing at).  Are there any lenders out there who may be willing to look at a change in life circumstances as a reason to overlook past debt problems?  I can get a 1 bedroom condo in a reasonable area for about $65-75k, which I could likely have paid off very early.

[EDIT]

I have no idea if this information is helpful or not, but I do work for, like, the largest title company in the nation, and can get some major discounts on closing costs and etc.

Unless you're 620 and above, chances are you're not going to get a mortgage no matter how much you think you can afford it. 

Yes, owning is likely more cost effective than renting. 

However, the negatives on your credit report aren't going anywhere just because you now have a job and are making reasonable money. 

Not trying to be a jerk, but these are the truths. The days of high risk lenders are mostly gone, thanks to the housing crash. 

Fixing your credit and boosting your scores is going to take effort, and lots of time, unfortunately. A private landlord would be the way to go ... and you're going to have to make sacrifices in terms of location. 

Message 8 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I have a couple of comments:

• There are lenders that will go to 580 for a FHA mortgage and a few will go below 580.  If your mortgage mid score is less than 580 the lender will require a minimum of 10% down payment.  Between 580 and 620 some will require more down payment (to mitigate risk).
  • Other lenders that will issue a loan to high risk borrowers are few and far between as pointed out above. There are some hard money lenders but your interest rate is going to be very, very high and the LTV will be low, in the vicinity of 65%.  
  • A Realtor can help you find rental housing for this interium period to help you out of a hotel and into some type of rental while you work on your credit. 

Go to the rebuilding forum here on MyFICO and see what you can do right away to increase your score. Some people have been able to do enough to get to 620 and above in a short time period (a month) and others take longer. It really depends on what is holding your score back. 

Having your mortgage mid-score above 620 makes getting your mortgage much, much easier for you. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can see where you are coming from, it is frustrating when you feel you have the income to support buying but your credit score holds you back.  Unfortunately being patient is sometimes the hardest part about fixing your credit!   It will take some time to fix but it's not impossible.  I raised my credit from mid 500's to mid 600's in about 8 months.  I actually learned a lot about being financially responsible during that time, and I think it makes me a better homeowner now. 

You will need to address all those collections.  Dispute what you can.  After the disputes are resolved, offer PFD.  If nothing else, pay them.  If you PIF, dispute it afterward.  I paid a few collections around $100 or so each in full then later disputed and they were removed - I'm guessing they didnt' want to bother dealing with verification since they already had their money. 

I am guessing you won't be approved regardless of your score until the repos are at least 1-2 years old. 

You don't need to open any new credit cards, 3 should be plenty, but work on raising the limits of the unsecured card that you have.  Request CLI as often as you can without a hard pull.  If you get rejected, call the recon number and explain that you always keep your balance low or even better PIF every month and see what they say.

Our lender was used to working with less than perfect credit.  He was okay with a few old collections, even told us not to bother clearing up our medical collections, but wanted a max of 2 left on our report before closing.  With lower scores, he did say we would need 1 full year of no lates across the board, 1 full year of no new collections, and 1 full year of rental history payment, which actually took us LONGER to get than decent scores.  Once we had that, he approved us almost immediately at 3.5% interest.   we had gotten our mid score to around 640 but he wasnt' concerned and said he could have approved at 600 once we'd met the other conditions. 

I think your best bet will be FHA loan, they are more credit lenient, so look into their guidelines.  It's doable with 580 but it will be a hard battle.   You'll need at least 3.5% down, maybe up to 10%. 

Finally, don't get desperate and go with sub-prime lenders.  We almost did.  We wanted a house so badly and thought we could afford an 11% interest rate.  We could have made the monthly payments, but we would not have been nearly as financially stable as we are now.  Even if you can afford it, try and think of how much nicer it will be for future you if you can manage to wait it out a bit right now!  Life used to be daily financial stress for us, we got so used to it we didn't know any better, and thought we'd always worry about money, that it was normal.  I'm so glad we didn't get a sub prime loan!  We dragged ourselves out of a bad situation and now we're building a decent savings every month, and equity in a house we love that we worked hard for a year to get.  Worth it! 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.