cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any success stories with Judgment & FHA loan?

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Any success stories with Judgment & FHA loan?

Our loan is in Underwriting but I am really stressing about a Judgment that I have against me from an old debt. I disclosed the Judgment with the loan officer early in the process and have setup a payment plan which is already factored into the monthly debt-to-income ratio (also sent a copy of the payment plan arrangement to the loan officer).

The judgment wasn't brought up by Underwriting at all so I felt ok about it, but now they asked for a letter of explanation for a non-sufficient funds fee which was caused by the judgment creditor putting a hold on our bank account before setting up the payment plan. 

My fear now is that the Underwriter was actually not aware of the judgment since they didnt' ask about it (maybe the loan officer never told them?).

Has anyone had success with getting a mortgage loan with a Judgment agains them? Would love to hear some success stories to calm my nerves.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
jandj80
Regular Contributor

Re: Any success stories with Judgment & FHA loan?

We don't have any owed judgements at this time, but do have one from 2009 that we paid back then, and we are currently in underwriting as well. However, it is my understanding that if it is in a repayment plan, and there is room for it in your DTI, you are good to go. If its medical, they really don't worry much about them at all. 

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 22
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

+1

As mentioned if you are in repayment plan and submitted should not be an issue. As long as within DTI ratios as mentioned.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 22
Kay_Cee
Regular Contributor

You should be OK if it was disclosed and the payment arrangement is already factored into your DTI.  I closed on my FHA mortgage with a paid judgment from 2007 and a current payment plan with the IRS for back taxes.  The key is having an established, on time payment record.  That being said, you don't stop feeling the stress until you actually get the clear to close.

Message 4 of 22
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@Kay_Cee wrote:

You should be OK if it was disclosed and the payment arrangement is already factored into your DTI.  I closed on my FHA mortgage with a paid judgment from 2007 and a current payment plan with the IRS for back taxes.  The key is having an established, on time payment record.  That being said, you don't stop feeling the stress until you actually get the clear to close.

The established, on time payment record may be a problem if they ask for it because I've only made 1 payment so far since the payment plan was just setup a month ago. By the time we are supposed to close in 6 months though, there would be a record of 7 payments though, so if needed, maybe they could make it a condition of closing to show the payment history.

I sent the letter of explanation and got back a reply of "This will work fine". It's still on the list of conditions in the online status though so not sure if it's resolved or not. I absolutely hate the not knowing! It's been 2 months since we started this loan process and I don't know when it'll be finally be over and we have our commitment letter.

Message 5 of 22
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

If they are looking for an excuse to kill it, this will be it.

Hopefully the underwriter is just trying to wrap this one up.

When I got denied in underwriting, it was with something just like this. ruined my year.

Message 6 of 22
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

If they are looking for an excuse to kill it, this will be it.

Hopefully the underwriter is just trying to wrap this one up.

When I got denied in underwriting, it was with something just like this. ruined my year.

I like to think that I wouldn't be that upset, but I'm probably fooling myself. Smiley Tongue When we went into this, we thought "It would be a miracle if we get a loan, but let's try, what do we have to lose?" because of our credit, so the whole time we've been very cautious and tried not to get excited. It sort of ruined the design center experience when we went to pick all the options and finishes because that was very early on and in the back of our minds, we almost felt that we were wasting our time. The further we make it along though, the more optomisic we have become.

Hopefully they don't want to kill the deal, and I like to think that it's also in their interest to try and make it happen since the builder and the mortage company are on in the same, they have more to gain than if the mortgage company was a 3rd party. 

We have both said that if we get denied, it will be a learning experience, we'll see why we were denied, get it fixed, and try again at a later time.

Message 7 of 22
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

You and I think alike.

We were denied in the 11th hour in underwriting on closing day.

We found the problem and fixed it. We are closing in April and im still freaking out lol.

Message 8 of 22
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

You and I think alike.

We were denied in the 11th hour in underwriting on closing day.

We found the problem and fixed it. We are closing in April and im still freaking out lol.

Hey Tooleman I sent you a PM.

Message 9 of 22
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

PMed you back.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.