Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get a Loan after a Short Sale

tag
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Anyone get a Loan after a Short Sale

Hello:

After 2 years of the first delinquency, my short sale is now officially closed.

I would like to hear from people that have had a short sale and have also gotten a loan afterwards.

How long after the closure of your SS did you get a loan?

What type of loan was it?

I am just trying to see what I can do to improve my chances of getting a loan in the future.

Any advice is appreciated.

My credit score is a 686. No other delinquencies, etc....

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Anyone get a Loan after a Short Sale

For purposes of obtaining a new mortgage, the clock starts from the date the short sale closed and the deed was transferred to the new buyer, not the date of first delinqency.

So when did you have your short sale closing? 

Message 2 of 22
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Just now.

So it will take a month or so, for the credit bureaus to report it as closed, but the damage is already been done as far as the credit score goes.

Or am I incorrect?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 22
2511rb
New Visitor

Hello, i am told that your short sale will effect your ability to get a loan for 2 yrs, after the short sale is complete, mine was complete on Oct 15 2011 but lenders wont touch me and my credit score equifax is 747 , expirien 730, trans union 737

Message 4 of 22
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Wow!

I can't you believe you can't get a loan now, with those scores. It would seem to me if you have that type of credit history and a consistent employment, someone should allow you to get a loan, rather than judging people what's on a piece of paper.

Message 5 of 22
VanRickets
Established Member

My short sale closed in October 2012.  Both my husband's and my credit scores have come back up, since nothing has been delinquent except the mortgage payments.  Our short sale was due to a job loss and having to move out of state.  FHA will approve borrowers who lost their home due to hardship.  The wait is now 12 months.  A conventional loan is still 2 years post short sale.  

We are hoping to purchase a home in 2014 and go the FHA route. All of our money was tied up in the other home, so we don't have 20% down.

FICO 715 FAKO 739
Chase Freedom 14,500
Chase Slate 6,700
US Bank 14,500
Discover 15,000
Message 6 of 22
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

you can buy with fha right now if you were current on the loan when it sold.

any lates and you have to wait 2yrs or more.

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 22
cammyspot
Valued Member

VanRickets is correct. I spoke with a rep from FHA about this very issue. I had a DIL complete in Aug 2013 and I would be looking to go this same route with FHA in the next 12 months. 
Starting Score: Jun 2012 TU 564 FAKO

Current Score:10/25/17 Fico 08 EQ 673, TU 647, EX 671

First Goal: 700's across the board

Message 8 of 22
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Mine was due to jobloss and divorce and I was always under the assumption I would have to wait 2 years to be considered for a loan after it closed.

Message 9 of 22
2511rb
New Visitor

I also attempted a loan modification , which requires u to be 2 or 3 month late to seriously be considered for the Mod. The loan was brought current in April  of this year , and i am told that u have to wait 1 year past your last deliquency before you can refi , so waiting for April 2014

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.