Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use PNC Mortgage before?

tag
HopefulGardner
New Contributor

Anyone use PNC Mortgage before?

My husband and I met with a Loan Consultant at PNC today and she was amazing super helpful and very knowledgeable. Explained everything to us step by and left us with a much better understanding and excited to start looking at houses. Has anyone worked with PNC before? She told us the process from receiving a Pre-approval to closing takes about 30 days.. is it really that quick? Any insight on working with them is truly welcomed, we still want to shop around and check out our CU.

Starting Score: FICO Lender 7/2012: EQ 598 TU 643 EX 640
Current Score: MyFico 04/14/13 EQ 684 TU 650
01/13/13 Lender EX 677
Goal Score:700's All Bureaus

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone use PNC Mortgage before?

Whenever I hear the name PNC, I cringe. I've had a checking account with them for 9 years and also a credit card for a couple of years. I never found their products very competitive. I had two nasty encounters on the phone with them when I needed their help. At the local branch, people were mostly helpful or trying to be. I kept the checking account because it has no fees. The credit card's rewards suck. I'd say if their interest rate is competitive, go with them. My experience is that you can probably do better elsewhere. 30 days sound about right if everything works out smoothly.
Message 2 of 7
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

everyone is different. In my area PNC is one of the last places you can get a free account. and they have online tools that are awesome for saving and budgeting. text alerts, mobile deposits, things our CUs cant offer around here. I will admit their credit cards dont have the best rewards, you have to know how to use them to take advantage of it, but on the whole I think they are solid.

This is one bank that is incentive based on customer service as much as sales. I dont feel pressured into anything when I go.

Thats just me though Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 3 of 7
HopefulGardner
New Contributor

As far as the rate we are applying for FHA so I guess that part wouldn't matter. We thought he was pulling our leg with the 30 days though Becuz of ll te horror stories I read on here I was just like yeah right lol we don't have any major credit issues, only prob is length of credit history for why I am not in the 700's pretty much lol. I'm only 20, and my husband is 21.
I think we will continue to move forward with her and maybe try one or two others just in case!

01/13/13 Lender EX 677

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I met with a PNC loan officer on Monday -- I have all of my accounts at PNC, and have been very happy with them. I don't know about the mortgage process, and didn't ask for a timeline -- I'm about a year out from closing. The officer was incredibly helpful, though, and spent more than an hour with me talking about all of my options, costs I'd be looking at, home price, etc.

He said they offer a $1,200 credit on closing costs for first-time homebuyers who take a two hour course. Unless my real estate agency's mortgage branch can offer a significantly better interest rate next year, I'll likely go with PNC.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with pnc is going very badly, extremely inept, we're 5 days past closing. Supposed to close 12/18, bumped to 12/20, then 12/21...now 12/27 or 12/28 but only maybe because they need a third FHA appraisal after collecting my 4506t five freaking times.

The process has been so poorly managed that the southwest regional mortgage manager called me to apologize, offered me a gift card, told me I was clear to close then called me back to deliver the news "oops we're not clear to close, my bad" and he couldn't see the irony that his error was just the latest in a 45 day long keystone kop tragedy of errors.

I only hope it ends soon or I'll have to go through a different lender or lose the house.

So, no, I don't recommend pnc.
Message 6 of 7
HopefulGardner
New Contributor

smiley,

Sorrry I havent been on in  while was focused on improving scores and getting ready for the process. Did everythng work out okay with you? Were you able to close before year end? We actually ended up switching from PNC as our LO got a new position at Suntrust and also moved other LO's from her office along with her.

01/13/13 Lender EX 677

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.