Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for mortgage-have questions

tag
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: Applying for mortgage-have questions

@Anonymous wrote:
The principal, interest, taxes etc would be 2021.

I'm getting 55.8% back end ratio

Licensed in IL
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The info we've (both us and both lenders used) are the actual information for the specific house. As I mentioned the TOTAL for ALL is 2021.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes! I came up with same so I figured it was pretty accurate. The 2nd lender said it was mid 60% with the same numbers.

I guess I'm looking to see if there are any companies who can/will accept a 55% DTI with excellent residual income left? I have been reading and it said the residual income and other compensating factors such as spousal income coming into the home but that's not being counted on the loan would help. But both lenders (veterans United and veterans lending group) have said otherwise!
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have been told for veterans United to do manual underwrite we'd have to be at 50% DTI since we have good risidual income and other compensating factors such as spouses income coming into home but not being counted on loan.

I'm not sure I understand what you meant by the 20% risidual and breaking down the base pay, bah bad etc
Message 14 of 16
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
We have been told for veterans United to do manual underwrite we'd have to be at 50% DTI since we have good risidual income and other compensating factors such as spouses income coming into home but not being counted on loan.

I'm not sure I understand what you meant by the 20% risidual and breaking down the base pay, bah bad etc

VA requires a minimum amount of residual income based on the family size & geographical location. In order to exceed 41% on the debt to income ratios you have to exceed the residual minimum by at least 20%. So let's say the minimum residual required is $1,000, you would need $1200.

You gave us a total income of $4,956. How much of that is your BAH & how much is BAS?

The real problem is your file is not getting approved through an automated underwriting system which means there is a maximum debt to income ratio that is anywhere from 41% to 50% depending on the lender.

The reason why you're not getting approved through the automated system may be due to the high ratios. One way to fix that is to gross up your non-taxable income like your BAH & BAS.

Here's an example:

Right now we're using a total monthly income of $4,956 & that's getting us a 55% debt to income ratio. If we break down your income into base pay, BAH & BAS it would like this (ESTIMATED): base pay $3,100, BAS $368 & BAH $1,488. We can gross up your BAH by at least 20% so it would go up to $1,785.60 & BAS would go up to $441.60. That would effectively increase the total monthly income to $5,327 which would drop your debt ratio down to to 52%. That's still too high for a manual underwrite but it may be enough to get an automated approval. In addition to that there are a couple of other "tricks" that we can use to try & get an automated approval.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the reason behind being able to "up" the BAH and BAS? I just want to know as much as I can when I call the loan officer.

Here are the exact numbers:

Base pay: $2856
BAH:$1743
BAS:$368

Also have a $200 raise due to hitting another time in service mark!

I looked at the chart for our region (west coast) for the risidual income and it states for family of 4 it needs to be $1117. At the moment minusing the truck payment and projected mortgage/insurance/taxes/PMI from my income alone there's $1,671 risidual income left. That is $330.60 MORE than the required 20%.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.