cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for mortgage next year, did I just kill my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for mortgage next year, did I just kill my score?

Long time lurker, first time poster here.
First I'd like to say thanks for all the valuable information I've gathered here over the years and hope you all are doing well.

Now to my problem. Around December of next year (2020) my wife and I will be looking to purchase our first home. We have done well the past two years getting our credit together and both have FICO 8s in high 700s to low 800s across all bureaus.

But I think I've made a mistake.

Lately my EX FICO 2 has been an 817 for a while and its been a few years since I applied for a new CC. So I pulled the trigger on the AMEX BCP last month which is an awesome card IMHO. My EX FICO 8 dropped only 3 points but when I checked EX FICO 2 I dropped to an 803.

Only the AMEX inquiry has posted to cause that 14 point drop. Do you all think once AMEX starts reporting and drops my AoYA to 0 months I'll slide down past 760? Of course I'm trying to get a prime mortgage rate so now I'm nervous.

I know I don't have the mortgage scores for TU and EQ right now but I'm just using EX as a baseline since it only costs 1 dollar. My info is the same across all three so the scores should be +-20 I'd assume. My current stats are below. Hopefully I didn't blow our shot to be over 760s next year.

http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/jryeargin/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20191011_103114.jpg.html
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for mortgage next year, did I just kill my score?

From personal experience. You will be fine. Plenty of time to recoup. Just don't do that next year!

Message 2 of 7
JVille
Valued Contributor

Go ahead and pull your 3 Bureau Mortgage scores for BOTH of you since the lowest Middle Score is the one that counts. Also the FICO reports on this site are what the lenders use so this is an excellent time to go thru All 6 reports (3 per borrower) and make sure nothing is lurking.
Congratulations on starting the journey! Time to visit with a Friendly and Knowledgeable lender and discuss your situation and what you need to do to prepare.
Message 3 of 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

As noted above, you'll be fine based on your scores.

You can get free monthly Equifax FICO 5 by joining DCU with their savings account. Soft pull for membership.

You'll regain the inquiry points you lost in 365 days from time of inquiry.

Also, if you don't open any new accounts, you'll get back your bonus points once your AoYA account is >12 months.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear I didn't total blow our shot. In hindsight if I would've taken restarting AoYA and reducing AAoA into account I would've never opened that new CC.

I will definitely check out DCU, you can't beat a free mortgage FICO.

Also I tried posting my account ages in the OP but I got locked out trying to edit the post orginally. Also I think my AAoA will drop below 6 years once this account start reporting. Here are my ages for a bit more info.

http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/jryeargin/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20191011_103041.jpg.html
Message 5 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi and welcome to myFICO

As everyone says, you are fine. You have great scores and you're more than a year out--more than enough time to pull those mortgage scores when you're about 3-4 months out from talking to a LO. 

Go and enjoy your AmX BCP  

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

DCU savings account offers 6.17% apy up to $1,000

You have a good AAoA. I'm not sure of all the thresholds:
24 months
60 months
66 months
72 months
78 months

Something to consider since your AoYA has been reset is to see if there are any other card(s) that might benefit your spend or SUB Sign Up Bonus. Factor in reduced AAoA if it's a detriment or not.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.