cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are 401k loan payments calculated into your dti ratios?

tag
UpmyscoreinFL
Frequent Contributor

Are 401k loan payments calculated into your dti ratios?

Now I am nervous. My lender originally told me 401 k loan payments weren't calculated into dti ratios. Today in an email she made it sound like they were. She has my pay stubs already so knows there are loan payments taken out.  Also

how much of my annual bonus and overtime do I get credit for?  If I get credit for all of it I should be  just fine. I made 50,000 last year.  My monthly debt payments including 401k loan is 880.00 a month.  I can payoff the small cards which would bring the monthly payments down to 800.00 a month If need be.  My house loan payment including everything will be between 820.00-850.00 a month.  If I don't get credit for bonuses and overtime my base salary will be just over 43,000.  Do I need to be nervous? We are under contract and I don't want it to all fall apart now.  

Equifax my fico 629
Transunion my fico 669
Experian fako 663
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Are 401k loan payments calculated into your dti ratios?

Your debt owed and being repaid is counted toward your DTI.

Your W2 will be averaged for your overtime and bonus if you received them for the last few years. If this is the first year you received either of them they usually are not considered, but YMMV according to lender.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 9
UpmyscoreinFL
Frequent Contributor

The bonuses 1500.00 a year is guaranteed and my bonus for last year will hit next month so I think I will be ok and get credit for the bonuses atleast.  I am just nervous and parancid now.   Have done the dti calculators online and it looks ok.

Equifax my fico 629
Transunion my fico 669
Experian fako 663
Message 3 of 9
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Nothing to worry about Smiley Happy

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 9
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I have received a bonus of $5,000-$6,000 every year in Feb/Mar for the last 6 years. So my bonuses from the last 3 years were averaged and included as income.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 9
JonRun
Regular Contributor

Certain types of loans secured against deposited funds, where repayment may be obtained through extinguishing the asset, do not require consideration of repayment for qualifying purposes. The asset securing the loan may not be included as assets to close, or otherwise considered available to the borrower. The deposited funds can be used for

•signature loans on certificates of deposit
•loans on the cash value of life insurance policies, or

•loans secured by 401(k) accounts. 

I copied and pasted this from the HUD website. I'm using a 401k loan as down payment and they don't count the loan payment in the DTI.

Message 6 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@JonRun wrote:

Certain types of loans secured against deposited funds, where repayment may be obtained through extinguishing the asset, do not require consideration of repayment for qualifying purposes. The asset securing the loan may not be included as assets to close, or otherwise considered available to the borrower. The deposited funds can be used for

•signature loans on certificates of deposit
•loans on the cash value of life insurance policies, or

•loans secured by 401(k) accounts. 

I copied and pasted this from the HUD website. I'm using a 401k loan as down payment and they don't count the loan payment in the DTI.

+1

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

401k loans do not figure into dti

if your loan officer thinks they do.... consider another loan officer.  this isn't a hard question, what else does the LO not know?

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 9
UpmyscoreinFL
Frequent Contributor

I probably misunderstood her email. Yay I dont have to stress.
Equifax my fico 629
Transunion my fico 669
Experian fako 663
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.