Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are FHA loans avoided by sellers?

tag
Mickey11
Regular Contributor

Are FHA loans avoided by sellers?

I talked to our LO and he was implying that compared to cash or conventional offers a FHA offer is the last one they consider and in our market where properties are getting multiple offers this is very worrying. Anyone have a problem before with FHA offers?

Starting Score: TU 660 EQ 623 EX 644
Current Score: TU 670 EQ 683 EX ???
Goal Score: 700 on all 3

Freedom: $3k, CSP: $5k, Chase Disney Premier: $5k, AmEx Zync: NPSL, Cap1 NH: $750, Cap1 Plat: $750, USC CU: $500
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
kdmitchell27
New Contributor

Re: Are FHA loans avoided by sellers?

That's silly. An FHA is still desirable as they are easier to obtain compared to a conventional loan. Of course both are made irreverent when it comes to cash. Of course it still comes down to what the seller will and will not take but I haven't seen anything otherwise that would make me believe that a FHA loan isn't viable.

Lender Pulled Credit Rating as of 4.10.2013. (Fico Experian: 660) (Fico TU: 685) (Fico Equifax: 659)
Message 2 of 26
0x47
Contributor

FHA loans have a stigma among sellers.  My great uncle and aunt are selling a house right now, and even they said they would only consider an FHA offer if that was the last one -- because FHA has a history of requiring sellers remedy things that turn up in in inspection that a conventional loan would not require fixed.

Their words, not mine.

FHA might require more fixes than conventional (FHA = less money for seller than CONV), conventional may require more fixes than cash-only (so CONV = less money than cash).  Its just math Smiley Sad.

Message 3 of 26
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

I have seen a few homes on the market that will not accept FHA loans, but it is usually because they require fixing that they know won't pass FHA appraisal, or they have add-ons with no permits, and other such nonsense.

Message 4 of 26
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

@Mickey11 wrote:
I talked to our LO and he was implying that compared to cash or conventional offers a FHA offer is the last one they consider and in our market where properties are getting multiple offers this is very worrying. Anyone have a problem before with 

Your LO is correct; gov't loans, unfortunately, and unfairly, have a stigma attached. I'm in a market that is quite competitive, and made offers on seven different properties before being able to successfully getting an offer accepted. From what my Realtor told me, my offers were just as, or more competitive than the winning offers, but because I'm using a gov't loan, I kept losing out. 

If at all possible to go conventional, do it. If not, just be tenacious and develop some thick skin, and keep looking. 

Message 5 of 26
Mickey11
Regular Contributor

We might have an opportunity for new home construction....are builders more indifferent to loan type?

Starting Score: TU 660 EQ 623 EX 644
Current Score: TU 670 EQ 683 EX ???
Goal Score: 700 on all 3

Freedom: $3k, CSP: $5k, Chase Disney Premier: $5k, AmEx Zync: NPSL, Cap1 NH: $750, Cap1 Plat: $750, USC CU: $500
Message 6 of 26
wildbillcody
Regular Contributor

I've dealt with FHA as a seller and I swore I would never deal with them again.
Lender pulled fico scores 4-11-2013
Equifax 670, Exp 673, TU 672
Message 7 of 26
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

@Mickey11 wrote:
We might have an opportunity for new home construction....are builders more indifferent to loan type?

I believe so. I used to work for a lender who served as the preferred lender for several different builders. The builders never seemed to care about the buyer's loan type.

IMO, loan type is only an issue for resales. 

Message 8 of 26
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Building is easier because you are so much less likely to have major issues pop up in appraisal.

It was worse a few years ago. FHA appraisals are a little better now. But people are still stuck with the mentality that FHA loans are hard to get and take longer. Which isn't always the case. As long as I saw a pre approval letter I would take an FHA bid if it was the highest bid.
Message 9 of 26
Davidngo
Contributor

I am currently in this situation right now.  I am both APPROVED conventional and FHA.  The reason I am leaning towards FHA is due to the lender credit.  In my situation for conventional, I would have a higher rate with no lender credit.

I talked to several individuals and the truth is, FHA loans are frowned upon.  Unless you believe that the property is in sound condition, with no major repairs, you will be fine.  I have submitted almost 10 offers and have always been beat out by either a CASH offer or CONVENTIONAL offer.

Lately I have been pondering the idea of submitting the offer as CONVENTIONAL with 5% down.  Then after the offer is accepted and down the line, I would ask for an addendum changing the financing type to FHA and modifying the contract to reflect his and the 3.5% DP vs the 5% DP; all along while conducting the loan as FHA.

This is no way will affect the seller as I am not asking for concessions or changing the closing date.  The seller would not be affected by the change.

MyFICO Pulled: (11/28/2012) EQ 635, TU 650, EX 661
Lender Pulled: (12/05/2012) EQ 635, TU 677, EX 641
Lender Pulled: (02/20/2013) EQ 667, TU 661, EX 648
MyFICO Pulled: (05/30/2013) EQ 712, TU 685, EX 686

Finally Hit the 700's as of 06/05/2013!!!
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.