cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we able to use wife's income when qualifying?

tag
Poet34
Valued Member

Are we able to use wife's income when qualifying?

Hi everyone!

My wife and I are planning on purchasing a home later this year.  She has not worked since about August of 2011, a couple months before our first son was born.  She has recently accepted a new position, in a different line of work, and will start next week.

Will we be able to use her income to qualify for our purchase?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

My Wallet: Capital One $673, Barclay's Apple $2k, Amex TrueEarnings Costco $6k, Chase Freedom $5k, Discover More $15k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
playboy
Regular Contributor

Re: Are we able to use wife's income when qualifying?

Not really sure.  If she is on the loan, I would think that they'd ask for two to three years worth of w-2s as well as current paystubs from the last 30-60 days to determine her income.

Starting Score: EX 575/TU 534/EQ 570
Current Scores per Myfico: (As of 12-14-13) EX 690/EQ 685/TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 5
Poet34
Valued Member

Thanks Playboy.

My Wallet: Capital One $673, Barclay's Apple $2k, Amex TrueEarnings Costco $6k, Chase Freedom $5k, Discover More $15k
Message 3 of 5
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Yes. Usually, there is a minimum employment history of two years required.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 5
Poet34
Valued Member

I spoke with a mortgage broker today and she stated that with two paystubs and a letter of explanation we should be able to use her income.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.