cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance with Title 1 Loans (fha home improvement loan)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assistance with Title 1 Loans (fha home improvement loan)

I was wondering if anyone had any information as to approved lenders for title one loans, and just a little more information regarding my situation.  

I purchased a new home and closed on August 7th. I know the requirements are to be in the home for 90 prior to attempting to obtain a title one loan. Purchase price was 335,000 and I went FHA. The house was in horrific condition, and I considered an 203k, but opted against it. I completely gutted the main floor and remodeled the bathrooms upstairs. I paid cash for this. 

When I was going through the inspection process, I had a company come out to assess the fireplace. The entire top of the chimney needs to be rebuilt, as well as a new liner, etc. Cost is around $6500. I also want to finish my basement. So I am thinking I would like to take between $20,000 to $25,000.  Here is my issue. I have an open collection on my credit report. It has been there for almost 4 years and I am NOT paying it. They could offer me a settlement agreement of $100 and I will not pay it. The balance is $12,000 and it is from a nursing home my father was in in Florida. I am in MD, and it was joint liability. They just let him leave, and then expected me to pay the balance for the time he wasn't there. He died shortly after. 

So I guess my question is, I spoke with 2 lenders and the open collection was an issue for them. However, it wasn't an issue with my mortgage company (UWM), as I was approved without having to pay. So is this something specific for this loan?  My debt to income ratio is low, zero balances on all cards for over a year, and I make about $120,000 a year. Credit is hovering around 650.  

Cash is low now due to me spending cash on my renovation. I really would like to attempt to get this loan. Any assistance anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am in Maryland. 

3 REPLIES 3
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Assistance with Title 1 Loans (fha home improvement loan)

I don’t know the answer to your question but with FHA strict requirements, I find it hard to digest FHA would allow you to purchase a home in horrific condition.

When I was a realtor, I had one seller who had to replace carpet because FHA deemed it unfit for humans. Now this was in the 90s so I guess a lot of things have changed since then.

An expert should be along shortly to answer your question.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have specified, horrific meaning there were no updates in 50 years besides appliances, all the walls were textured, the floors were lenolium, the kitchen and counters were original, bathrooms, etc and the home was filthy. The roof was 5 years old and the windows 10. Certainly horrific to me. But liveable, just not liveable for me. 

Message 3 of 4
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks for the clarification 😁

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.