Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan Before Mortgage?

tag
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Auto Loan Before Mortgage?

We hope to have our credit fixed up and get a mortgage next spring/Summer. We currently have a high interest rate auto loan. If we trade it in for another car late this yer with a much lower payment will that be a negative towards getting a mortgage?
EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto Loan Before Mortgage?

Probably not. You'll take a slight hit for the credit pull on the new car loan, but that will not be as big of a deal in a year's time. Also, having a lower car payment will help in terms of your DTI.

Message 2 of 3
dloza
Established Member

Re: Auto Loan Before Mortgage?

I think it would be better. Should help your DTI. I am actually currently in escrow after purchasing a new car with a high interest rate on 12/31/2011. I was told I would have probably been approved for a bigger loan but because my car payment was so high they couldn't approve me for more because of my DTI. I probably should have waited on the new car but just had my first child and needed something bigger than what I currently had.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.