Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Statements

tag
tony46231
Contributor

Bank Statements

I've seen a couple of posts regarding questions about cash and/or other deposits into bank accounts that are holding your down payment or closing costs.  Why is it important for the lender to know where cash or other deposits come from that are being used for down payment and closing costs?  I can understand the reasoning for wanting to see tax returns, pay stubs, and bank statements to ensure that your income matches what you say it is, but why do they want to know where other deposits came from?  I saw someone post about having to explain a $3 deposit that was made into their checking account.

Starting FAKO Score: 08/16/13 - EX: 702 EQ: 694 TU: 702
Starting FICO Score: 08/19/13 - EX: ??? EQ: 700 TU: ???
Lender Pulls: 02/28/14 - EX: 736 EQ: 716 TU: 748
Closed on 04/25/2014 - Loving it!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Bank Statements

@tony46231 wrote:

I've seen a couple of posts regarding questions about cash and/or other deposits into bank accounts that are holding your down payment or closing costs.  Why is it important for the lender to know where cash or other deposits come from that are being used for down payment and closing costs?  I can understand the reasoning for wanting to see tax returns, pay stubs, and bank statements to ensure that your income matches what you say it is, but why do they want to know where other deposits came from?  I saw someone post about having to explain a $3 deposit that was made into their checking account.

we need to know that the down payment/closing costs are from an 'acceptable' source

example of unacceptable sources:

loan from friend

unsecured loan from institution

proceeds from drug deal

cash advance on credit card

example of acceptable funds:

gift from family or close friend/ significant other

sale of an asset (sell 2nd car)

loan against an asset - 401k loan, loan against paid off auto, ect

sale of stocks/bonds

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 6
tony46231
Contributor

What if it's just savings that one has accuired over time?  Reason I'm asking, I have a savings account that I put extra money in on a regular basis.  I have no idea where each and every deposit came from.  Some come from a combination of sources.  Extra income from my primary occupation, gifts, items sold on Craigslist or eBay, side jobs, mileage checks, rebate checks, ect.

Message 3 of 6
jessx503

Probably a good idea to hold off on random deposits until after you close... if you have funds in there that have been there for a period of time that are "seasoned" (IE: more than 60 days for instance) they likely won't ask about them. I was told by my lender that non-regular employment deposits are going to be very closely monitored and gone through with a fine tooth comb if within the 60 day range. They want to make sure you aren't borrowing money for your down payment from a non-allowed source, and will want proof of any source of deposit within whatever time window they deem necessary. It's a pain but just use whatever cash you get for your day-to-day expenses instead of depositing it and then using your debit card.

Message 4 of 6
tony46231
Contributor

The past few months are not a problem.  I can figure out where cash deposits came from in that time frame.  I was just worried about having to come up with explanations for each and every deposit for the past 6-12 months.

Message 5 of 6
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

My daughter sometimes uses my credit card then pays me in cash and I deposit it and use itto pay the card. My lender told me yesterday not to deposit her payments until after we close (which will be sometime next year). She also told me to make a copy of any checks I deposit from the government for travel pay - that way I wwon't have to get a copy of the deposit from the bank when they question a $20 deposit.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.