Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being painfully mature

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Being painfully mature

Well, I dont know what happened. I was so stressed about getting my score up and getting the house as soon as possible, just because I could. I have the funds to do so, and now I have the score, with a decent DTI. I felt ready, and I was, but.... we had a long talk last night and decided to wait until january/february to even apply and get started looking. something about getting rid of all the stress of, getting money, paying debt, and bringing up my score... made me think, why am I rushing. Im barely 25. I have time, 6 months is nothing.

We decided it would be nice to save even more, and get an apartment close to our jobs. When we crunched the numbers, it balances out the gas driving, plus rent we pay her parents, and cost of storage was more than our apartment will be. I wanted to also get a new, more fuel efficient car before winter. I get 18mpg, and want to go around 36mpg, as doing this will keep my DTI the same for when we do apply, but my current auto loans have never reported to any CRAs. (local small town bank) So Im missing out on all of that history and want something to report.

So, after crunching the numbers and figuring out what is best for us we decided, WHATS THE RUSH? Just because we can doesnt mean we have to.

Now I'll be gardening and putting off some stress until january.

Thanks for everyones help. Ive gained so much knowledge and now feel very prepared for when the process is ready to be started. Just waiting on that vibe, that says now is the time. Smiley Happy

See you in about 6 months!

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Being painfully mature

Was trying to hammer that point into your mind WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS ago. Glad you guys are on the ball and made the decision together. That makes it so much easier to deal with. Good plan overall. Good luck.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 8
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Im rushing cuzz I hate renting and moving lol.

Not only that but the house I have a contract on that we built has gone up in price 20k. I could not afford my home if I signed on it today or waited.

Message 3 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Wise decision!

There is no need to put yourself in such stress. It is tough to "get ready" to buy and there is nothing wrong with waiting until the time is right for you. Now that you have done all the hard work getting ready, take a break. Enjoy the next few months building savings, getting to know the market place on a casual basis and just relaxing. Knowlege is power. Buying a house is not the easiest thing in this market and if you are stressed going in then the process becomes more challenging.

At 25 you have plenty of time to buy. Another six to 12 months of waiting is nothing in terms of a lifetime. Enjoy your new rental place.Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Wise decision!

There is no need to put yourself in such stress. It is tough to "get ready" to buy and there is nothing wrong with waiting until the time is right for you. Now that you have done all the hard work getting ready, take a break. Enjoy the next few months building savings, getting to know the market place on a casual basis and just relaxing. Knowlege is power. Buying a house is not the easiest thing in this market and if you are stressed going in then the process becomes more challenging.

At 25 you have plenty of time to buy. Another six to 12 months of waiting is nothing in terms of a lifetime. Enjoy your new rental place.Smiley Happy

Exactly, I basically realized that Ive been stressing for so long about this and getting my scores up and now that the stress is gone Im at peace and just wanted to enjoy a little stress free time before we start. If I wanted to, I could go buy a house right now and still have savings and be just fine... but Its kind of nice being stress free about it and just taking our time. I think the stress of getting the score was the worst part, but now that its done I just want to enjoy it for a bit.

We decided to reward ourselves. My GF wanted to go on a vacation to TX and see my family... her reward, and mine too I guess Smiley Wink and I wanted to get tickets for me and a few friends to catch the Lions season opener against the Rams. Then we are back to saving and just enjoying life until the dreadful winter is on its way out!

Thanks guys! I feel great about this decision. I know its right for some people to do it asap, but the pros dont outweigh the cons in this one for me. I'll be back soon enough though!

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 5 of 8
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Was trying to hammer that point into your mind WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS ago. Glad you guys are on the ball and made the decision together. That makes it so much easier to deal with. Good plan overall. Good luck.

I know, In my mind I was just thinking, If I can then why not? But now that I can, Im thinking... why not wait? lol I honestly didnt think my GF would go for it, but she was just as stressed as I was and it made the decision much easier with her being so supportive.

Message 6 of 8
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Sounds like you have your head on pretty straight.  PLUS, your scores will go up (hopefully Past 680) and then it will be some pretty smoothe sailing.  See ya in 2013Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 8
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

thats what im hoping for. Gives me time to take care of the engagement ring, and get a better car to save some gas money without stressing about a mortgage in the mix. For now we are just relaxing and enjoying things for a bit Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.