Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best place to refinance mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best place to refinance mortgage?

We have a mortgage through a federal credit union who have been nothing but terrible to us the entire year.  Due to the terrible service and a high (5.13%) rate we are looking to refinance our mortgage but I'm pretty gun shy now and am looking for opinions on places.  I've gotten several estimates so far and 2 stood out with lower numbers than the others, 1 from bank america and 1 from AnnieMac.

I know there are many bad reviews for BOA but we have had our checking and savings with them for years and I also have a car loan with them, so it would be extremely convient to have everything in 1 place for payments and information, plus their estimate was in line with or lower than most others.

The AnnieMac option has been the best numbers so far and the 1st person I talked to was extremely pleasant and helpful, but I haven't been able to find many reviews for them.

Opinions on either one?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Best place to refinance mortgage?

@Anonymous wrote:

We have a mortgage through a federal credit union who have been nothing but terrible to us the entire year.  Due to the terrible service and a high (5.13%) rate we are looking to refinance our mortgage but I'm pretty gun shy now and am looking for opinions on places.  I've gotten several estimates so far and 2 stood out with lower numbers than the others, 1 from bank america and 1 from AnnieMac.

I know there are many bad reviews for BOA but we have had our checking and savings with them for years and I also have a car loan with them, so it would be extremely convient to have everything in 1 place for payments and information, plus their estimate was in line with or lower than most others.

The AnnieMac option has been the best numbers so far and the 1st person I talked to was extremely pleasant and helpful, but I haven't been able to find many reviews for them.

Opinions on either one?

I would stay away from BOA - their mortgage originating department is awful.  Typical big box bank where the LO isn't really a loan officer, but an application taker. Your file doesn't even get reviewed by someone with any knowledge until it hits underwriting. My suggestion is go with another lender - Annie Mae or someone else. JMO

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the opinion.  We decided to go with AnnieMac, hope it isn't a mistake.  BOA definitely didn't impress me, after initially talking with a person 3 days ago nobody has called me back after 2 voicemails and 2 emails.  

On a separate but related question, we are being presented with 3 options by AnnieMac, 1 option with PMI, 1 with partial PMI, and 1 with zero PMI.  The zero pmi is obviously the lowest payment option but I feel like it's too good to be true, what are some questions i should ask about this option and where will that money be made up?  Supposedly all 3 options have the same interest rate.

Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the opinion.  We decided to go with AnnieMac, hope it isn't a mistake.  BOA definitely didn't impress me, after initially talking with a person 3 days ago nobody has called me back after 2 voicemails and 2 emails.  

On a separate but related question, we are being presented with 3 options by AnnieMac, 1 option with PMI, 1 with partial PMI, and 1 with zero PMI.  The zero pmi is obviously the lowest payment option but I feel like it's too good to be true, what are some questions i should ask about this option and where will that money be made up?  Supposedly all 3 options have the same interest rate.

Usually, PMI is only charged on a conventional loan if your LTV is greater than 80%.

If you are putting down less than 20% and AnnieMac is offering you the above 3 options - ask your LO what your interest rate will be for each of the options. The lender paid MI is usually accompanied by a higher interest rate. Yes, I see you said that they claim the interest rate is the same - but they have to get the money from somewhere and the only two places are rate and fees.  Did they give you an actual LE? I suspect that if the rate is actually the same, they are charging you a one time MI premium due at closing. But ask your LO - the money has to come from either you or the lender and the lender doesn't pay for MI out of the goodness of their hearts (not cynical here, just practical). 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.