cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Fannie Mae Guideline Changes (short sales, DU Refi+ Making Home Affordable, no more 3% down)

tag
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Big Fannie Mae Guideline Changes (short sales, DU Refi+ Making Home Affordable, no more 3% down)

It seems like they are tightening the reins even more. I also wonder what's the next ax to fall.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 11 of 22
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Big Fannie Mae Guideline Changes (short sales, DU Refi+ Making Home Affordable, no more 3% down)

Just in the down payment department - the guidelines overall will allow more people to qualify.  The difference between 3% & 5% down isn't that much.  People said the same thing when Fannie Mae eliminated their 100% financing program, then they had to put 3% down... just makes people save up a little more.  Honestly not everyone knew about the 3% down Fannie Mae option either, majority of people just assumed 5% down was required on conventional.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 12 of 22
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I agree that not many people knew about it. However, going from 3% to 5% is a nice chunk of change when going for a 400k mortgage....as in my case.

We have the $$$ for the 5% down without issue. I was just trying to be a little creative to be able to not have a monthly PMI and not have to totally drain our savings. Welp.....that's all gone now.

I always feel that this process is being made harder and harder for people who have stronger files.

Why couldn't they just tighten the rules for 3% down....like you can't have a SS FC or DIL for 7 years or something to qualify? Dag, don't just get rid of the product all together!!

I am so annoyed!!! I get helping those who had past problems, but don't penalize those of us who were blessed to weather the storm.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 13 of 22
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Believe me, my family an I went through issues too because my DH was laid off 3 days before Christmas in 2008, and it was impossible for him to find a job.

So, im not downing anyone who went through issues. I did too. I'm just venting!!

Message 14 of 22
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

I agree it stinks, it was one of my biggest niche products I was able to offer my clients.  Freddie Mac did away with their program years ago, so it's not too surprising Fannie Mae finally eliminated theirs too.  Yeah another $8k down payment isn't fun to save for, but you will get a little better interest rate at 95% LTV than 97% LTV to make up for it.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 15 of 22
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Yeah,

We'll see what our options are come October when we do our loan app.

I learn so much from this site. I'm sure are a few LO's out there whom I could school. LOL
Message 16 of 22
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Most LO's don't know half the stuff that is discussed here.  There is a loan officer forum I visit and I'm amazed as some of the questions they ask - of course everyone has to learn somehow but you'd think someone in the industry could at least look through the provided guidelines.

Message 17 of 22
boober
Frequent Contributor

Can someone please tell me what and how these new changes will affect those looking to refi under HARP?

I qualify for HARP, my home is with Fannie Mae, but my DTI is right around 70% or so, I'm paying it all down, and by around February of 2014, my DTI  will be around 45%, but it appears as though that won't matter since all loans are being capped out at 43%?!?!

Will all my efforts be for naught???? Smiley Sad

Will I have to find some way to pay down that extra 2% to get myself down to around 43%?

Message 18 of 22
last4ever

Here's our situation. 

We went under ratification yesterday, and preapproved for the 97% LTV.  Our sellers wanted 60 days to close, which puts us at a Nov 14th closing date.  Our loan officer said we should go forward, but that their investors may pull the program before Nov 16th.  

Should we insist on moving the closing date up, and by how much?  

Thanks!   

Message 19 of 22
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Speaking as a Realtor and not a loan officer I would say move your date so you close before the program changes. JMHO.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.