Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bounced checks hurt my approval

tag
jadeite788
Established Contributor

Re: Bounced checks hurt my approval

Not really ask the bank if they have a courtesy removal, sometimes they can remove up to 1-2 overdrafts per 6mo-year.  I don't know exactly how many overdrafts you have.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 21 of 28
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@jadeite788 wrote:

Not really ask the bank if they have a courtesy removal, sometimes they can remove up to 1-2 overdrafts per 6mo-year.  I don't know exactly how many overdrafts you have.

While the bank may honor a courtesy removal, all that does it provide a refund for the fee they charged for the overdraft, they will not remove the record of the overdraft from your bank statement. Trust me, I know.

Message 22 of 28
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

+1
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 23 of 28
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

. . . .

IThe persoon who told me I couldn't get approved with over 2 overdrafts within a year was with Quicken Loans.  I have heard it depends on the Underwriter.  Is this true?

I also was working with someone at PNC.  Maybe they are looking at me closer because I am self employed.

Man, I've been looking at recent loan rates onlin on Bankrate's site and I wouldn't touch Quicken with a 10ft pole! They are 1/2 to 3/4 of a point higher than others over the same time period.

I picked my Mortgage Broker by checking for those with the lowest rates and fees on Bankrate.  Just a thought.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 24 of 28
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I agree about not using Quicken. Even if their rates were competitive, their process is awful. Quicken has a different type of business model where they don't really have a LO, just telephone application takers. The sole job of the phone rep is to take that application and the fee (on your credit card). Once you give up the fee, its impossible to get it back even if you withdraw your application right away.

The phone reps have very little knowledge of loans and underwriting. The file has to eventually get to an underwriter, but there could be large red flags for anything obvious (DTI/employment/scores etc) and it won't be noticed until underwriting because it's not the phone rep's job to review. The problem with this is the applicant might be approvable at a future date with a few adjustments but you will never know that with a Quicken Loan (or even BOA or Wells) type process.

It is far better to make application with a good LO with a mortgage broker or mortgage banker because they know what the underwriter needs to approve a deal and if there is an issue that can be fixed or improved, they will tell you what and how to do it so you can make the application when you are ready. You get good specific information about your situation. You don't get that with the business model that has phone reps as their front line.

I have seen people enter into a contract with a bogus pre-approval issued by Quicken (before u/w) or Wells or BOA and those people end up just wasting their time and their money because they never can close with the outstanding issue. If they had gone to someone more knowledgeable up front, they could fix the issue and then go out to buy when they are truly ready. I don't blame the buyer because most don't know the criteria. I blame the mortgage person for not knowing how to take a proper mortgage application when it is their business to know.

Message 25 of 28
twojton01

I was recently approved with Bounced checks on one of the statements I had to give our Loan Officer....  He just asked for a letter of explation...  Make it simple...  You should be fine if you Debit Ratio is good

Message 26 of 28
KC731
New Visitor

Sorry to hear that! Were the bounced checks prior to your preapproval or did this occur while you were in the process of buying your home?

Message 27 of 28
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I had FOUR right before closing.  I paid a bill for $1,000 and entered it as $100.  It Happens.  Didn't even ask me for an explanation.

Of course, this was with Pulte Mortgage and I was building w/Pulte.  May be different. 

Sheesh, sometimes life happens.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.