cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is walking 1 week before closing - :-( Options?

tag
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Re: Buyer is walking 1 week before closing - :-( Options?

The scenario is just a hypothetical, so I wouldn't get too hung up on whether farms are interchangeable or not. I wasn't suggesting that you contract on a farm that you 'weren't very happy with', but rather that you settled for the best thing available to you at a time when you wanted/needed to buy. In the scenario I suggested, you (the buyer) wouldn't enter into a contract knowing there is something better AVAILABLE. The 'something better' is not available at the time you enter the contract. That's the hypothetical scenario.

One completely valid way this scenario could happen is that another buyer outbids you for the farm you really loved. Determined to buy and buy now, you go with your second choice, which is nice and meets your needs but not the one you would love to have purchased. You enter into a contract on the second property, believing it is what is available to you that best meets your immediate needs.

The deal with the buyer of the 'dream farm' falls through, and your realtor lets you know it's still on the market. Your financing hasn't been approved yet, and your contract allows you to back out.

Again, what would you do? I don't see that as a far-fetched scenario, and I'm just wondering if you think about this hypothetically whether you would back out or continue.

Message 31 of 32
tleventer
New Contributor

Re: Buyer is walking 1 week before closing - :-( Options?

Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.  I do see it as not a valid situation I can comment on simply because I'm not there.  However, I see what you're saying and IF a bidding war type situation was what occured with our buyer... I would probably have cut them some slack IF... BIG IF... A) I believed that was what happened and B) I was not lied to about it.

I don't believe she came across a dream house in a situation where she was trying to be honest with us.  I guess that's the kicker for me.  Do not lie to me and expect me to roll over and be all hunky-dory with the situation.  I do believe she midled us... and in the end lied about the situation to us and to the loan officer who I have tremendous respect for and think he went above and beyond to help her and she basically spat on him. 

So you're trying to rope me into a hypothetical situation where I'd be in the same boat isn't valid simply from that standpoint -- I wouldn't lie about the situation.  You're trying to get me to feel some empathy for her situation instead of being angry but sorry... lying to me and (I believe) misleading me isn't the way to get it.

12/09 - EQ 683, TU 696, however hubby's EQ is 599 - guess what we're working on next!
1/4/10 - EQ 700!
5/7/10 - Midline score = 712! Hubby's EQ is now 613 :-)
Message 32 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.