Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a house and old child support shows up via report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying a house and old child support shows up via report

Hi
I've paid off my child support in 2004. Now the credit union says that I had a judgement against me for this case.
I finished paying in 2004 when my child turned 18 and now he's in his 30s.
Why is it still shown against me, I don't owe anything and how do I show them proof that support was over in 2004. They asked for a divorce decree but was never married.
Frustrated
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Buying a house and old child support shows up via report

Once a judgment has been paid, that often isn't the last step, it still needs to be released. 

Here is what I've done in the past... First, get a copy of the judgment from the recorder's office (or the CU might be able to give you a cpoy).  On there it'll indicated who sued you and may even have their attorney information.  Contact them or their attorney and ask why they haven't filed a release.  They'll either tell you why (as in you still owe more money, etc.) or will realize that it's been paid and will proceed with filing the release.  The release is filed with the county recorder, if you live near the recorder's office then if you want to expedite the process ask the attorney to send you the release directly, then you can go down to the recorder in person and file it yourself and they'll make you a copy of the recorded release (which is what your CU needs to stop giving you a bad time about it).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.