Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a new house while trying to sell current one

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying a new house while trying to sell current one

How does this work? Is it possible to get an approval contingent on selling our current house? Our current mortgage is VA and we would want to have the new mortgage be VA. We bought almost 2 years ago but have to relocate due to my job. I hope to avoid selling this house, moving somewhere temporarily and then buying another house, but I have no idea how it works with VA.

Also, do lenders care about debt aside from the monthly payment that shows on your credit report? Our DTI is not an issue, I just wonder if they see credit card debt and think "oh, this person can't manage their money."

Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buying a new house while trying to sell current one

approval contingent on selling our current house.... YES.  The timing would be a pita but yes VA and FHA will do that.  Heck, if your DTI isnt an issue and they think you can handle both houses then approval contingent wont be an issue.

Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

It is easy to get a mortgage approval subject to the sale of your home.  

Getting an accepted contract may be a little more difficult unless your current home is under contract.  It is easier to get the seller to accept a contract of yours is nearly ready to close.  It is still subject to the sucessful closing of your sale. But then you are protected if the contract falls through for any reason.  Make sure you let your agent and lender know you don't want two mortgages so s/he structures the purchase right.

As to debt:  the lender looks a ratios and if you have rising debt (acclerating debt). I'm almost 95% certain they aren't looking at the type of debt but the LO's on this board will know more. 

PS I am assuming you aren't running out and buying a bunch of toys like jet ski's, boats, fun & fast cars etc. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am following along...may be in the same process in a couple weeks.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.