Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR question on Foreclosure Reporting

tag
theprat
New Contributor

CR question on Foreclosure Reporting

I have a foreclosed rental property in Georgia that was sold back to the bank and received a 1099A showing 100k owed but box 5 not checked. In Georgia, if they dont come after you for deficiency in 30 days, they cant come after you. It has now been 3 years. Anyways, it is showing up my credit report as a CO and the balance being that 100k and past due 100k 3 years later. It is also still reporting as a CO monthly on Equifax. Is there any way this can be correct. It was my understanding once sold that it should be reporting zero balance. I had 3 other rental properties foreclose as well at the same time and they are all reporting zero balances. I have contacted Equifax to dispute but the bank came back and verified all items. If this is incorrect, what should I do next?

David

David- Discover TU- 692 FICO EQ- 698 Lender Pull EXP-708
AMEX Sr Gold
AMEX Delta 2k
AMEX ED 9K
Chase Freedom 4.5k
CSP 7k
Chase Marriott Premier 10k
Lowes 3,600
Best Buy 8k
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: CR question on Foreclosure Reporting

I don't think credit reporting on this has to follow state guidelines on if they can come after you for a deficiency or not.  The guidelines for deficiency's probably just relate to them being able to get a judgment against you.  May want to ask the folks over in General Credit Topics or Rebuilding Your Credit.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

credit attorney can answer your questions.... might be worth the money

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 8
Teardrop
New Contributor

@theprat wrote:

I have a foreclosed rental property in Georgia that was sold back to the bank and received a 1099A showing 100k owed but box 5 not checked. In Georgia, if they dont come after you for deficiency in 30 days, they cant come after you. It has now been 3 years. Anyways, it is showing up my credit report as a CO and the balance being that 100k and past due 100k 3 years later. It is also still reporting as a CO monthly on Equifax. Is there any way this can be correct. It was my understanding once sold that it should be reporting zero balance. I had 3 other rental properties foreclose as well at the same time and they are all reporting zero balances. I have contacted Equifax to dispute but the bank came back and verified all items. If this is incorrect, what should I do next?

David

David,

I'm dealing with something similar.  When were the foreclosures?  I spoke to about 3 attorneys and all of them told me it wasn't anything that they could help with as it is a legitimate debt.  And they could only intervene if it was an issue with it being reported after the 7 years.  Is this for a second trust mortgage?  Perhaps try sending a letter to Equifax with a copy of the 1099.  Also you might want to ask them that based on the 1099 you just want the debt to show 'close' and the late payments removed off the account.

Seedling Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/31/2014 - No apps while waiting to apply for home loan!
Starting Score: EX 640 EQ 593 TU>592 Lender Pulled 3/30/2014
Goal Score: All Scores 730+

Message 4 of 8
theprat
New Contributor

They were all 3 years ago. The thing is they are reporting correctly on Exp and TU but not Equifax. I have sent a letter to the bank and Equifax this week so will see where that gets me. I disputed online to begin with but that seemed to be a waste of time and the bank just validated the information in a weeks time. I will let you know if I get anywhere with the process. It makes about a 25 point difference in my Equifax report with the balance reporting as past due. My bigger concern though is when I go get a mortgage will this be an issue.

David 

AMEX Sr Gold
AMEX Delta 2k
AMEX ED 9K
Chase Freedom 4.5k
CSP 7k
Lowes 3,600
Best Buy 8k
Message 5 of 8
mato01
Regular Contributor

I have a similar situation. Did you ever get a answer?

In the Garden until 6/1/2016
Mar 2014: All Scores in the 520 range.
FEB 2016: myFICO: EQ 660, TU 682 EX 681
Message 6 of 8
theprat
New Contributor

I am not sure which question you are referring too....I called the bank directly and after many emails and calls they wouldn't do anything. I disputed with all three CRs and after three or four attempts the balance finally went to zero. To be honest, I think what happened is I got a lawyer friend to call the bank on my behalf and they realized that it should be zero and then reported it correctly. It took 6 months and countless attempts.

AMEX Sr Gold
AMEX Delta 2k
AMEX ED 9K
Chase Freedom 4.5k
CSP 7k
Lowes 3,600
Best Buy 8k
Message 7 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations on getting it corrected to the right amount.

For others, you can also file a complaint with the CFPB and they will also work on your behalf to get it corrected (for those that don't have lawyer friends to help!). http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.