Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA's won't cooperate with dispute removal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CRA's won't cooperate with dispute removal

I am applying for a USDA mortgage.  I have been pre-approved and am in underwriting.  We have a target closing date of 7/30/12.  I need to get disputes removed rather quickly.  I have gone the route of making phone calls to all 3 CRA's to get them removed REALLY quickly, but to no avail.  I seem to hit brick walls over and over, with responses of "I'm sorry sir, we cannot remove those remarks form your report.  The creditor will have to do that," "or send us a letter asking to have the remarks removed.  It could take up to 30 days to have the remarks removed."  I don't have 30 days!  Is there anything I can do to help the process along?  My only underwriting conditions are having the dispute remarks removed, providing proof that all collections/liens with an outstanding balance have been paid and/or released,  and sending an LOE on collections/liens.  I do have a state tax lien that I paid off in full last week.  I'm in the process of getting my letter of release on that one (very difficult, since people in the state tax office that I owed the taxes to won't answer their phones or return messages.)

Will paying the collections off effect my scores?

My scores as of 6/20/12:

TU: 649

EF: 589

XP: 643

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CRA's won't cooperate with dispute removal

I guess I missed something... Whats the rule for having dispute comments on your report? I too am applying for the USDA Guarantee through Chase. I havent heard anything yet. You should try ordering all three reports and scores from equifax.com and then you can dispute each bureau directly. They will let you remove items like consumer statements, addresses ect usually in a matter of days.  Personal info like addresses and employment info has come off in 2 hours for me.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I often hear the horror stories of removing dispute comments. I got a dispute comment removed before being preapproved and it took 45 days plus another 14 after I called and asked why they were removed in the time frame they quoted. I had two more dispute comments when I was preapproved. I went through a broker and she had me sign a piece of paper saying "I no longer dispute these accounts" and all dispute comments were removed in literally 3 days. I don't know what magic was used, but it worked! I hope you find a solution and not one that takes the 45+ days like it did me when I was handling them on my own.

Message 3 of 9
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I used the numbers in Shane's thread and had everything gone same day. Called and sweetly explained the dispute was a mistake on my part. It was a late that wasn't actually late, but considering account history I probably should have left well enough alone, LOL! FWIW, once the dispute comments were gone I ended up getting a goodwill removal.

A few years ago, people online were a little happy with disputing everything in sight. Some had success but many ended up with comments they thought were harmless. I didn't know dispute comments were bad until joining here. Had mine removed so things would look all pretty when it's time to get a mortgage.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I paid several hundred dollars to have a rapid score done to have them removed and it took about 2 weeks to get done.

Also during the process my scores tanked. EX took a 60 point drop from 680 to 620 once the comments were removed.

Message 5 of 9
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ tm,

Is the customer suposed tp pay for rapid rescores? I've read (here) that it's illegal for brokers to charge for them.

Also, some disputed items on a credit report won't be factored. Thats why mortgage companies insist all disputes be ended. Back in the day; some companies would send out blanket disputes and push people through the mortgage process while the score was artificially inflated. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@ tm,

Is the customer suposed tp pay for rapid rescores? I've read (here) that it's illegal for brokers to charge for them.

Also, some disputed items on a credit report won't be factored. Thats why mortgage companies insist all disputes be ended. Back in the day; some companies would send out blanket disputes and push people through the mortgage process while the score was artificially inflated. Smiley Happy

it is considered an unearned fee.

violates one or more acts of congress.

Credit Repair Organizations Act or Fair Credit Reporting Act i think

every company that i have ever used for pulling credit says that i CANNOT charge the borrower.

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 9
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Well I got charged a ton to get it done, however I see it as a small price to pay to get this loan closed.

Message 8 of 9
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

I had about 4 dispute remarks removed rather quickly as in less than a week.  I faxed each company a letter saying "At this time I am not disputing this account".  For one or two, I did use the numbers Shane provided and poof they were gone.  Just keep everything short and sweet and it seems to work. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.