Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Get Approved For a 200K Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I Get Approved For a 200K Loan

My monthly gross income is $3200. Is it possible for me to get approved for a loan in the amount of 200K. I live in Atlanta, GA. I want to buy my first home later this summer and it seems like the only thing holding me back is my salary. The only debt I have is my student loan of 10K. I have a freelance business on the side and that can sometimes bring in an additional income of up to 1K but that depends on the project. Any advice would be helpful. thanks.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I Get Approved For a 200K Loan

I'm guessing probably not. Our income is $3700 a month with about $600 a month in debt, bringing us to roughly your income without debt. We were preapproved for $110,000. I think it would take a lot more income to get into the $200 range. If they include my child support received our income is $4000 and it only bumped us up to $130k preapproved.

I'm certainly not an expert, just going according to my own figures Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only type of home I can afford with 110K would be in the ghetto. I assumed since I only had 10K in student debt that I would qualify for at least 200K. I guess my dream of owning a home continues to get pushed back. The crazy thing is that I pay $975 in rent. I would much rather much pay that towards my own home.

Message 3 of 14
gpeach
Regular Contributor

Have you reported your freelance work on your taxes for last two years? If so then they will add that income and that will help you get more. But 200,000 does seem a bit of a stretch for your income. But worth a try.

Do you have your down payment and closing costs saved? If you have a down payment and find a forclosure or great deal you could end up with a 200,000 home for 150,000. Never know.

We priced out a 220,000 home and mortgage,taxes and insurance were 1520.00 at 5.5% interest. Closing costs are around 9000.00. We are military so VA loan is zero down. Figuring 200,000 would be a bit less the the above figures but not much. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah i know, i feel you. It's not a good scene around here in that range either. We're holding off until i graduate in May. Our lender only requires 30 days employment coming right out of school so we'll be able to buy something nice then.

Why don't you go find an online mortgage calculator and double check just to be sure? Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My fiance got preapproved for $190,800 on a FHA with a gross monthly income of $3458.   The house that we are purchasing is closer to$200,000 so we had to come to the table with close to $9000.  The seller is paying all of the closing cost.  Her monthly liablity is only about $100 month so if your debt is close to hers I'm not sure why you couldn't also get approved.  We live in Oklahoma. 
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well according to the calculators, you'd have to make roughly $55k - $60k a year with no debt to get approved for a $200k mortgage. And that will equate to a mortgage of probably $1500 a month, give or take depending on taxes, insurance, etc.

That's a huge jump in monthly payment from $965 rent. Ready for it? Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm no expert, but you really need to speak with a LO to get a better grasp on what you can get approved for.  According to most mortgage calculators there is no way she should be able to get this loan, but based off of her credit history and DTI she was able to get approved.
Message 8 of 14
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Just a word of caution, having purchased my first house recently for $210,000, I would definitely do the math myself.  I found in my situation that the mortgage broker was more concerned about getting me in the most expensive house.  Going into the transaction, I had calculated what I would be comfortable paying a month (including mortgage insurance, property taxes, etc.).  Some may disagree, but I'm firm believer in having adequate savings (i.e. cushion) to cover any repairs needed to for house.  Plus I didn't want to be house "poor."  I wanted to be still be able to travel and hang out with my friends.  Owning a home is wonderful experience but as all home owners can attest to something is almost always going to break or need to be fixed.  So when you are calculating what you can afford, I would recommend that you factor in repairs (i.e., deductibles) and any other leisure activites.  Good luck with your home search. 

Message 9 of 14
techman2008
New Contributor

I got approved for a 244k loan with monthly gross income of 3400 without counting overtime.     I made sure to pay off all my debt and have a high fico score.   Though i'm in Washington State and even with this down economy it's still hard to get a decent home with anything lower than 200k.  Good Luck!

Starting Score: TU 797 EQ 798 EX 774 10/26/2008
Current Score: TU 787 EQ 784 EX ??? 09/19/2010
Goal Score: 790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.