Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get financed for a house?

tag
SanDiegoEngineer
Regular Contributor

Can I get financed for a house?

Not really looking just yet (saving for a down payment), but I wanted to know whether I can get approved with my current credit issues or need to address any of them prior to applying.  If all goes well, I would like to buy in 6mo-1 year.

Currently, my FICO's are 624 (Exp), 644 (Eq), 647 (TU).  Based on the calculator, the EQ and TU should be over 660 (possibly up to 680+) with 6 more months of paying bills on time and reducing my current CC usage to 20% from the score time 60% (down to 40% now, major expenses from getting married which I've been paying monthly with large balance tranfers).  Approximately 10K in savings right now, which will be about 35K in 6 months, most of which would be available for down payment/closing costs.

Positives:  good job ($105k/year), paid all bills on time in the past 3 years.  Job history is solid for the past 3 years (same employer), with good income progression (from 75k/year - current 105k/year).  Two car loans (275/mo, 475/mo) both of which are paid on time for over a year now.

Negatives:  was laid off during the massive telecom bust in 2002, spent most of a year searching for another job (wound up retraining into a different specialization which is substantially less dependent on a single sector of the economy).  Racked up some major debts that went to collections.  Paid some of them off, however, I have about 4 collections still on account.  One of them that I am hoping to avoid paying off is listed for 22K (hoping to avoid it, as they are one of the worst CA's out there to deal with, original creditor debt was ~10k, they've tacked on outrageous fees and interest to push it to 22k and have refused all attempts to settle for at/close to original debt,  attempted to sue me last year to gain a default judgement, and finally dropped their case after stonewalling my attorney's attempt to get them to validate their debt and justify their fees).  The rest of the debts are small by comparison (total about 2k), and am willing to pay those in full if needed (hopefully with a pay for delete).  All the original debts are 4+ years old and outside the SOL now.

The main question I have for the mortgage pro's here is whether I would qualify for an FHA loan (or other type) for an approximately 325-350K condo either with or without paying that one large collection account?   Would I need my wife's income to qualify (she has substantially lower FICO scores than mine - low 500s, due to not having any significant revolving or installation debt history until we married recently) - she makes approximately 30K/yr?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I get financed for a house?

I sell houses and my advice to every First-time Buyer is (to be done in this exact order and one step at a time unless you want to OD on stress):

1 Clean up credit as much as humanly possible

2 Apply for your mortgage and get pre-approved

3 Find your home

4 Move
Message 2 of 4
SanDiegoEngineer
Regular Contributor

bump to see if I can get the incomparable ShaneTheMortgageMans opinion Smiley Happy

Though I appreciate the advice Lady_Scarlet and am doing what I can to improve the overall picture. 
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Hey SD Engineer,

You've laid out your situatin pretty well.  Your debt to income ratio by yourself looks to be pretty good on a $350k condo, 3% down, assuming a monthly HOA fee of $400/mo or less.  FHA does not require that collections/charge-offs be paid as a condition of getting the approval, however each FHA lender has their own policies & procedures on what is required to be paid off... for example Countrywide requires any collections/charge-offs exceeding $5k in aggregate to be paid off for their FHA.  Since yours were all over 4 years ago, and they were the result of extenuating circumstances (job loss), as long as you write a letter of explanation to the underwriter I'd say there is a good chance you wouldn't have to pay any of them off.  By saving up your reserves, that would be a big compensating factor, and would further strengthen your file to the points where underwriters would feel comfortable not requiring you to pay them off either.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.