cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Mortgage companies remove late payment reports?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Mortgage companies remove late payment reports?

Due to a mistake in scheduling on line payments to our mortgage company, one month the transfer did not happen. (I can't say it was the banks fault, most likely operator error on our part!) We paid the next month on time still not realizing that the one month was skipped. The month after that we saw that we owed two months, went back and found the transfer did not happen and immediately paid the current month as well as that missed month. Unfortunately what has resulted is two months in a row being reported as late payments. I called the mortgage company as our loan officer suggested to request they remove the reports as we have been customers for years with no lates or missed payments. The customer service rep told me that legally they were not allowed to do that? However in these forums I read many instances of it being done. Is it true they cannot or is that just the stock answer and it can be done if I am vigilant enough? Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Can Mortgage companies remove late payment reports?

The legality of the issue is they are reporting correctly. As long as they are reporting correctly they do not have to remove the late payment from your reports.

Now you can search the rebuilding boards for examples of GW ( Good Will Letter ) and stay patient but persistent and hopefully that will help you to your request of having it removed from your Credit Reports.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that there is a chance of goodwill success. They are not required to remove lates, but in some cases they will do it as a one time courtesy. Good luck!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a letter crafted to send, but frankly finding addresses to send to seems to be elusive with hsbc mortgage!  Guess they dont really want to hear from their customers! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Send it off to the offices of Mr. Brooker.

Message 5 of 9
fairclok
Contributor

Hi All,

I also have a post for this, but saw this thread.

Need to understand if I have any recourse for 2 - 30 Day Lates on my Mortgage reporting on my credit report.  

1.)  Mortgage is due 1st of every month

2.)  15 day grace period before late fees - 15th of every month

On both of my lates,  I paid my mortgage plus the late fee on the 17th of the month (less than 30 days).       My credit report is reporting 30 days late.     I've been told they technically can do this. 

That said, are their any options available to me to have these not report as 30 Days Late?  

Starting Score: Sept. 2012 EX FAKO 560; EQ FICO 590; TU FICO 576
2015 Score: Dec 2016 EX FICO 800; EQ FICO 790; TU FICO 810
Goal Score Met 2018: 825 or better on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mr. Brooker?  Any contact info? 

Message 7 of 9
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

reporting a 30 day late when only 17 days late sounds illegal.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

NEVERMIND Brooker is long gone! Lol

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.