Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can paying your Credit Card down too fast lower your score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can paying your Credit Card down too fast lower your score

I'm 1 point away from a 620 as I go for my loan -- doing a rapid rescore with my broker that should give me 11 points. My question is that I have  2 other cards with above 30% utilization. I've heard that there are instances where if you pay them off too soon it can actaully negatively effect the score. Since I'm so close to where I need to be I want to be cautious. Should I pay down to $0 balance? And if so will I see an uplift or decrease in scoring. Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pakman92
Established Contributor

Re: Can paying your Credit Card down too fast lower your score

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm 1 point away from a 620 as I go for my loan -- doing a rapid rescore with my broker that should give me 11 points. My question is that I have  2 other cards with above 30% utilization. I've heard that there are instances where if you pay them off too soon it can actaully negatively effect the score. Since I'm so close to where I need to be I want to be cautious. Should I pay down to $0 balance? And if so will I see an uplift or decrease in scoring. Thanks.

The maxinum benefit from util will come when you pay down everything to 0% EXCEPT for 1 account.  That 1 account should have util of <10%.

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 2 of 13
FrugalRican
Blogger

Leave 1 card with 1 to 9% of your overall utilization. All the others need to be 0.

"Fast" doesn't lower your score, it helps it.

If you pay off all to 0 balance BEFORE the statement date, it's not optimal, but leaving a 0 balance is MUCH better than leaving a 30% utilization across the board.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Leave 1 card with 1 to 9% of your overall utilization. All the others need to be 0.

"Fast" doesn't lower your score, it helps it.

If you pay off all to 0 balance BEFORE the statement date, it's not optimal, but leaving a 0 balance is MUCH better than leaving a 30% utilization across the board.

The general guideline is 1 to 9% of that one card's utilization, not total utilization.

ETA: I'd add to this general discussion that one pitfall that could potentially mess someone up is if you paid off a closed card that had a high limit that was helping your overall utilization.  Once you pay that card off completely, it wouldn't count in your utilization anymore and could raise your total utlization, thereby hurting your score.  That may not apply  to the OP's situation, but throwing it out there just in case.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My update: 

We were all ready to take the next step in the loan process as my rapid rescore came back 629, income great, 20% down (my own money - 106k)... and now another issue. I've been told that there are 8 accounts that have "dispute verbiage". These are accounts that I've been disuputing to try an clean up my credit. All are disputable and valid. I was trying to do myself a favor and get my score higher.. I was able to get some deleted. But now, the UW is telling me I need to get the Dispute Verbiage off my credit. I was able to do so quickly with EX, and next week I will start the other 2. But I'm nervous that this action or activity will drop my score -- I'm already on the edge with a 629. Anyone have experience with this.. am I over reacting with stress? 

Message 5 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My update: 

We were all ready to take the next step in the loan process as my rapid rescore came back 629, income great, 20% down (my own money - 106k)... and now another issue. I've been told that there are 8 accounts that have "dispute verbiage". These are accounts that I've been disuputing to try an clean up my credit. All are disputable and valid. I was trying to do myself a favor and get my score higher.. I was able to get some deleted. But now, the UW is telling me I need to get the Dispute Verbiage off my credit. I was able to do so quickly with EX, and next week I will start the other 2. But I'm nervous that this action or activity will drop my score -- I'm already on the edge with a 629. Anyone have experience with this.. am I over reacting with stress? 

If an account is actually in dispute, it is ignored for FICO scoring.  In that case, if the dispute is resolved against you and the negative account remains, then yes your score could drop.  If the account isn't in active dispute, but there is merely a comment in the remarks section that you once disputed the account information, that has nothing to do with your FICO score.  It will neither help nor hurt your score to have that comment changed.

The bad news is that it can be a real pain to get those comments removed sometimes.  There's a thread with some helpful numbers.  I'll go find it and get you the link.

ETA: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Best-Way-to-Remove-quot-Account-In-Dispute-quot-for-Mortgage/td-p/869326

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to let you know to stay away from a broker..your rate will be higher and your closing cost too..if you need the best nationwide mortgage company PM me..
Message 7 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would like to let you know to stay away from a broker..your rate will be higher and your closing cost too..if you need the best nationwide mortgage company PM me..

I don't think you can say this categorically.  Some brokers are bad, but some are good.  Certainly think OP could check out whatever recommendation you have as well, but good mortgage brokers can earn their fees.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My I went through..I have the number to the right people at the three credit companies..PM for the numbers and name to get them remove in hours..went throught it.
Message 9 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Walt_K wrote:

If an account is actually in dispute, it is ignored for FICO scoring.  In that case, if the dispute is resolved against you and the negative account remains, then yes your score could drop.  If the account isn't in active dispute, but there is merely a comment in the remarks section that you once disputed the account information, that has nothing to do with your FICO score.  It will neither help nor hurt your score to have that comment changed.

The bad news is that it can be a real pain to get those comments removed sometimes.  There's a thread with some helpful numbers.  I'll go find it and get you the link.

ETA: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Best-Way-to-Remove-quot-Account-In-Dispute-quot-for-M...

Not all items are removed during a dispute. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), portions of an OC account under dispute will not be scored by FICO. Among these are the balance, the CL, and the payment history. Other items like AAoA, scoring bucket, mix of credit, acct age, etc. including CAs and PRs, are not removed or impacted by a dispute.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.