Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can they really ask us for this??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can they really ask us for this??

Wells Fargo is putting our application through underwriting, and they've come back with a request that we feel is a little absurd.  My husband works for a company owned by his parents. He's a W2 employee and we've released all our tax returns to them. They now want the "Business returns" to verify that my husband isn't an owner of the company.  Neither of us are comfortable asking his parents to release THEIR business returns. Knowing them, they wouldn't want to anyways - they're very private people, especially when it comes to money. Can they really expect us to do this? There's gotta be another way to verify that my husband isn't an owner of the business. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can they really ask us for this??

I don't know what they can ask for as it was my assumption that they could ask for whatever makes them comfortable with releasing 10's of thousands of dollars to you but I will say they wanted my fathers checking account statement after he gave us a gift (unrelated to the home loan) and it was also very uncomfortable because they never ever discuss money. We had him send everything directly to the LO and after the home closed he promptly closed the account down. The business returns will also go directly to the LO without you ever seeing them. The flip side of the coin you are asking about it that being employed in the family business makes it easier to hide certain income facts.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand wanting to verify that my husband isn't an owner. But surely there's another way, aside from expecting the business tax returns. 

I think I may be just a little annoyed that it seems to be insinuated that we're committing fraud by hiding ownership in a business. 

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a bit absurd they will ask for that.  As a bank, they have  ways of verifying who owns the business.  They can go to the state's website the business is registered in and go to the secretary of state for verification of who owns the business.

The business returns are extreme and intrusive.  Ask if there is another way to do the verificaton without the business returns.

Message 4 of 18
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

you just need to ask if there is another way to verify and see what they come up with

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 18
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=4155-1_4_secD.pdf

hud guideline on this

is this fha? conv?

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 18
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

Tell Wells Fargo to kiss your @$$.  There are a million and one mortgage brokers that can be just as if not more competetitive than a criminal enterprise such as Wells Fargo.  If you have all your docs already, it just requires another faxing.  Best of luck!  Just because they are lending someone money doens't give them free reign.  Move on to the next mortgage broker.

Message 7 of 18
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

@tjmolly wrote:

@Tell Wells Fargo to kiss your @$$.  There are a million and one mortgage brokers that can be just as if not more competetitive than a criminal enterprise such as Wells Fargo.  If you have all your docs already, it just requires another faxing.  Best of luck!  Just because they are lending someone money doens't give them free reign.  Move on to the next mortgage broker.

+1 tjmolly! I had WF Home Mortgage. Just sold my house and got out of there as fast as possible with the scam that's going on.

FICO 8 Scores: EX 706 (11/3/2016) EQ 696 (11/17/16) TU 708 (11/17/2016)

"Use your Credit wisely, don't let it use you!"~Me Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 18
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@tjmolly wrote:

@Tell Wells Fargo to kiss your @$$.  There are a million and one mortgage brokers that can be just as if not more competetitive than a criminal enterprise such as Wells Fargo.  If you have all your docs already, it just requires another faxing.  Best of luck!  Just because they are lending someone money doens't give them free reign.  Move on to the next mortgage broker.

they have to follow guidelines.

the other million mortgage brokers will have to ask for the same.

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 18
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

i must ask...how does the bank know that he works for his parents?  i mean, if he's paid via W2 and it's verifiable on his taxes, what would promp the bank to ask for proof that he's not part owner of the company he works for?  i mean, i was never asked to provide proof that i didn't own/part own the company that i work for.   something seems off about this.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.