cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we get a FHA loan while still having a Conventional loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we get a FHA loan while still having a Conventional loan?

We have kind of a unique situation, and with all the investigations I've done, I cannot find the answer. I am hoping someone on this forum can help?

My husband is currently working in another state (Ohio). He has a conventional loan in Illinois where his mom is the primary borrower, he is secondary. I currently live in that house and the mortgage payment is very low, $190 a month because the balance is now less than $30k.

Because we both filed ch 7 in 2018, we will only be eligible to purchase FHA next year, and would like to buy a house in Ohio when that time comes. We will not be paying off the Illinois house first (if possible). He makes substantially more $ than I do if that matters, so I would not be able to get the house in only my name in Ohio.

Our Dti is extremely low- close to 13%, and may be lower by next year.

Is this something that's possible or are we going to run into trouble trying to do this? Can we get a FHA loan for what's technically a 2nd home (even though his mom is primary on the Illinois house)? Or will that actually help because he moved to Ohio for a job?

Middle mortgage score for me 658, for him 625 right now.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Can we get a FHA loan while still having a Conventional loan?

FHA loans are for buyers who plan to occupy the property as a primary residence.   If your husband plans to live in that home in Ohio as his primary residence you should be ok once you are 2 years and one day past the discharge date of your CH. 7 BK.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can we get a FHA loan while still having a Conventional loan?

Yes, we will both be living in the Ohio house (the one in Illinois will be rented to his grown children until we are ready to sell it).

Thank you for your help!!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.