Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we qualify?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we qualify?

This will be lengthy and probably contains a lot of excessive information, but with our past credit history, we're leaving no stone unturned. I want to make sure we can get approved and get through underwriting.

Income: $97k from 2016 tax year. ($84k from base salaries, $10k from bonuses, and $3k from 1099 income.) Salaries have already increased for 2017, if that matters.

Credit scores: Both me and my husband have our middle mortgage FICO scores hanging around 660-670.

Monthly debt payments: $1500 in auto loans (due to refinancing and selecting very short terms.) $150 for student loans.

We filed a Chapter 13 in 2009 and included a house. It discharged 5/2014 but the house was not foreclosed on until 11/2014. Both have aged off our credit report. All other negative items from that period have aged off.

Before we refinanced a vehicle we had a subprime lender. They reported a 30 day past due payment five months in a row from 1/2016 to 5/2016 and I have no idea why. I have sent proof of payments, made calls, disputes, wrote letters, etc. and I can't even get a basic explanation for this. At this point I don't think it will ever be changed. We do have proof of payments and the payments have even been reported on our credit report, but the 30 day past due report remained for all five months.

I found a medical collection on our Transunion reports from 2012. The agency has agreed to delete them when we PIF, which I will get done this month.

We just opened our first credit cards last summer/fall and the bankruptcy fell off in December, so our scores have ticked up a bit every month. We won't be purchasing until summer and I was hoping we'll be at 700 by then, but who knows.

We have $17k in cash, looking to finance under $200k. I was hoping to have a low down payment because anything under $200k in this area will need some work. We also have retirement accounts and we absolutely will not be utilizing those funds. I've been with my employer 10 years. DH was with his previous employer for 10 years but took a better opportunity in April 2016. We've rented the same house for five years.

I'm so nervous that I can't even bring myself to talk to a lender, so I need some sort of feedback here. Thanks! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Can we qualify?

@Anonymous wrote:
This will be lengthy and probably contains a lot of excessive information, but with our past credit history, we're leaving no stone unturned. I want to make sure we can get approved and get through underwriting.

Income: $97k from 2016 tax year. ($84k from base salaries, $10k from bonuses, and $3k from 1099 income.) Salaries have already increased for 2017, if that matters.

Credit scores: Both me and my husband have our middle mortgage FICO scores hanging around 660-670.

Monthly debt payments: $1500 in auto loans (due to refinancing and selecting very short terms.) $150 for student loans.

We filed a Chapter 13 in 2009 and included a house. It discharged 5/2014 but the house was not foreclosed on until 11/2014. Both have aged off our credit report. All other negative items from that period have aged off.

Before we refinanced a vehicle we had a subprime lender. They reported a 30 day past due payment five months in a row from 1/2016 to 5/2016 and I have no idea why. I have sent proof of payments, made calls, disputes, wrote letters, etc. and I can't even get a basic explanation for this. At this point I don't think it will ever be changed. We do have proof of payments and the payments have even been reported on our credit report, but the 30 day past due report remained for all five months.

I found a medical collection on our Transunion reports from 2012. The agency has agreed to delete them when we PIF, which I will get done this month.

We just opened our first credit cards last summer/fall and the bankruptcy fell off in December, so our scores have ticked up a bit every month. We won't be purchasing until summer and I was hoping we'll be at 700 by then, but who knows.

We have $17k in cash, looking to finance under $200k. I was hoping to have a low down payment because anything under $200k in this area will need some work. We also have retirement accounts and we absolutely will not be utilizing those funds. I've been with my employer 10 years. DH was with his previous employer for 10 years but took a better opportunity in April 2016. We've rented the same house for five years.

I'm so nervous that I can't even bring myself to talk to a lender, so I need some sort of feedback here. Thanks! Smiley Happy

Hi Rissaroo,

1) What type of mortgage did you have on the home you included in the BK?

2) FHA is not going to be an option (unless you qualify for an extenuating circumstances exception) until 11/2017 due to the foreclosure.

3) It is IMPERATIVE that you get the recent late payments deleted from your credit report. Any deragatory hits after a major derog like a BK & foreclosure can be grounds for an underwriter to deny your loan. This should also help bump up your scores.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our foreclosure was with Freddie Mac/US Bank.

I'll keep trying with the past due reporting, but I have no idea at this point what else I can do besides hiring and attorney. They don't respond to anything.
Message 3 of 9
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Our foreclosure was with Freddie Mac/US Bank.

I'll keep trying with the past due reporting, but I have no idea at this point what else I can do besides hiring and attorney. They don't respond to anything.

Ok so the previous mortgage wasn't a government backed loan, that's a good thing.

Have you contacted the CFPB regarding their failure to respond?

CAIVRS Expert.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to Google CFPB, solidifying my newb status. lol

I will make that my next step then.
Message 5 of 9
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I had to Google CFPB, solidifying my newb status. lol

I will make that my next step then.

Haha, sorry I should have spelled that out.....

CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

If you can get the late payments removed, the mortgage was indeed discharged through the BK, and you put 5% down then you would have a regular Fannie Mae loan as an option since that program applies the BK waiting periods for a foreclosure included in BK, which is just 2 years after a Ch 13 BK dischage.

Guidelines on that are: https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/selling/b3/5.3/07.html#Foreclosure.20and.20Bankruptcy.20on.2...

Whenever I am sure about payments being on time, I do a simple Q&A with the creditor who is reporting incorrect information.  For you it'd go like:

Rissaroo: "Hi [Creditor], I am calling to see what your records show for my payments from 1/2016 through 5/2016.  Do you show those payments were made on time?" 

Creditor: "No, they were 30-days late each of those months."

Rissaroo: "OK, thanks for confirming your records, what date do you have my payment being made for the each of those payments?"

Creditor: "[Lists various dates]"

Rissaroo: "That is odd, because I have a [bank statement, payment receipt from your website, cancelled check] showing that the payment was made made on [list of dates for each payment due].  How can we get this corrected?  Because I am applying for a mortgage right now and your incorrect reporting is damaging my chances of qualifying, I am not sure if I should hire a lawyer or what, but it seems like this could be easily corrected without having to resort to anything along those lines.  Are you able to review these documents and correct it, or if not, then who can?"

I've had similar conversations with around 100 different creditors over the past 15 years on behalf of clients, and either the payment history is eventually corrected or we find out that their payments actually were 30+ days late.  They keys are being polite, stern and bring a solution to the table.

When you've called the auto loan lender, did your conversations go like that? 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have actually been very, very nice to these people, but they never give direct answers. When I ask direct questions they just keep skirting around the issue, and that's when someone actually answers the phone. We really scraped the bottom of the barrel with this loan, lots of lessons learned there.

So would those five past dues be the nail in our Fannie Mae coffin, even if we waited until they were all over a year old and brought our scores up above 700?
Message 8 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Your chances certainly take a hit with those lates on there.  It's not to say it's impossible, but to have a real chance in getting approved you'd want to write a detailed letter of explanation to underwriting as well as provide dpcumentation that the payments were made on time.  You'll also need to get an "Approve" through Fannie Mae's automated underwriting (although we actually have a lender who, if needed, will do manual underwriting on Fannie Mae when due to documented erroneous credit reported on the credit report).  Underwriters are willing to review documentation like that and if it's pretty clear the payments were made on time, it's possible to approve.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.