Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you lower your DTI for ...?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you lower your DTI for ...?

*Edited*

Can you lower your DTI after you've already applied for a mortgage? For example: Our DTI is listed at 51.51% (including new home) as of Sept 7th when our credit was first ran. Now, our DTI is much lower, and we have 10 thousand we could put towards debt. 5 thousand would pay off all of our credit cards and get us to 44.67% (including home). Will a normal mortgage company allow this to meet the DTI requirements for an FHA loan?

Our mortgage company is telling us that we can not pay off credit cards, because we could just run them back up. True. But if we paid off a loan, we could just as easily go out and get a new loan...So this doesn't make sense to me and I"m not sure if this is normal practice. Anyone with any experience? Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SOOO Stressed about DTI!

What kind of loan are you trying to get? From what I was told if there is a good difference in the amounts your payoff, they can run your credit again and use that info. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SOOO Stressed about DTI!

We are trying to get an FHA 203K loan.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.