Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell phone carrier credit pull

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cell phone carrier credit pull

I am wanting to switch cell phone carriers soon, but  planning on getting pre qualified for a home this summer. Would them pulling my credit effect me badly enough to make a difference? What's the deal with these types of things. I am so careful right now about doing any detrimental hard pulls, that is makes me vervous.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Cell phone carrier credit pull

No. Go ahead and switch carriers. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 25
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Have you considered a no-contract plan? I have one with Net10 and a Samsung Galaxy 4 smart phone ... $40/month with unlimited talk, text and data [but data speed is throttled back after a certain amount]. Also, no credit pull involved. The carrier behind the scene is AT&T.

A single credit pull for such transactions will not affect your ability to secure a mortgage ... unless of course your overall credit profile is weak to begin with.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ezdriver wrote:

Have you considered a no-contract plan? I have one with Net10 and a Samsung Galaxy 4 smart phone ... $40/month with unlimited talk, text and data [but data speed is throttled back after a certain amount]. Also, no credit pull involved. The carrier behind the scene is AT&T.

A single credit pull for such transactions will not affect your ability to secure a mortgage ... unless of course your overall credit profile is weak to begin with.

I am with AT&T right now and trying to get rid of them.  We are working on getting our profile cor recited right now. It's not the strongest, but by summer/fall I hope strong enough for an approval. Just have past delinquencies hurting us. 

I had read somewhere even a phone credit pull could hurt you.

Message 4 of 25
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

it is a soft pull.  i cant see it when i pull credit

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

it is a soft pull.  i cant see it when i pull credit

Awesome! Thank you!

Message 6 of 25
Peter1142
Established Contributor

+1 soft pull

Message 7 of 25
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...T-Mobile did a hard pull on my account 2 weeks ago even though the salesman swore it would be a soft pull ...doubt he knew the difference ...but it did show on all three CRs as a hard pull by a utility Smiley Mad

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lemmus wrote:

...T-Mobile did a hard pull on my account 2 weeks ago even though the salesman swore it would be a soft pull ...doubt he knew the difference ...but it did show on all three CRs as a hard pull by a utility Smiley Mad

Ahhhh. That makes me nervous!

Message 9 of 25
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Are you sure? That sounds very strange. On all 3 CRAs...

You should file a dispute. It was not a request for credit.

If this kind of thing shows up while you are apping for a mortgage, unless you are qualifying by a few points, no big deal it is easily explained and does not affect DTI.
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.