cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chap 7, first time home buyer how to prepare?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chap 7, first time home buyer how to prepare?

Do you currently have a written budget that you follow? If so, excellent you are on the right track. If not, I'd highly recommend doing one.

We can help figure out your DTI, how much of a mortgage you can get approved for, etc. But having a written budget is how you figure out what you can afford.

I'd also recommend saving up a nice emergency/rainy day fund. Owning a home comes with the potential for new unexpected expenses. That's just part of owning a home, as long as you prepare you won't be stressing out when things come up.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a budget that I follow religiously.

We had a business partner in another cou entry empty our accounts several years ago and finally after trying to catch up, filed chap 7

Our chap 7 was discharged dec/2018
Got a car loan dec/2018
This was refinanced 8/2019

We also both got capital one cards jan 2019
(His is currently 500 and mine is 750)

We both have NFCU cards as well both currently at 2k and his was from feb 2019 mine from march 2019

His current fico 9 scores are at about 640. They just dropped because of the new loan but I'm sure will get back quickly to the upper 680s he was in.

Mine took a bigger hit, my fico 9 was 765 and is now about 680. Again this was from the car loan.

No late payments show up on our report at all, even from before bk as we tried to do it all ourselves and were doing alright until one company decided to garnish us. It forced us into the BK as we could not pay kiddos medical, and regular Bill's with the garnishment.

Hubby is sole income provider while I'm home with kids and brings in about 80k a year. Can be a bit more, just depends on bonuses.

We want to be able to buy close to the 2 year mark if possible as our kids are in a great school, hubbys work is nearby BUT real estate here is just going up. Hoping that changes, but want to get into a home preferably at the 2 to 2.5 year mark to get settled and stay til kiddos are grown Smiley Happy
Our landlord currently has raised the rent 10 percent each year, which is above the raises etc so it will slowly be harder and harder to pay plus a handful of other things that make us want to own

We buy on CC and pay off essentially treating it like a debit, we dont carry balances other than letting some small ones report here and there.

We do have savings, although we would love to add about 10 to 15k to that in the next year (I will be getting a night job to help with this a bit)

*We just are mostly trying to figure out how to get our scores to the best possible numbers
If it's best to have 3 cards, we each need another. From what I have read, we dont want any HPs within a year of getting a mortgage, so that gives us about 2 months to figure out a third and possibly fourth card (we were thinking discover IT and wayfair.com)

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. It would be our first home purchase ever as up until the last few years we travelled around a lot for work.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero - Would this credit profile work to optimize scoring potential

*Student Loan (Balance $5K)

*NFCU Credit Card (Balance $0) PIF Every Month

*TD Bank Credit Card (Balance $0) PIF Every Month

*Car Payment (Balance $15K)

Message 13 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AllZero - Would this credit profile work to optimize scoring potential

*Student Loan (Balance $5K)

*NFCU Credit Card (Balance $0) PIF Every Month

*TD Bank Credit Card (Balance $0) PIF Every Month

*Car Payment (Balance $15K)

Are you trying to obtain a mortgage or just optimize FICO score?

What are the following:

AoYA Age of Youngest Account?

AAoA Average Age of Accounts?

Derogatories?

Delinquencies?

Original student loan amount

Original car loan amount.

Message 14 of 16
JVille
Valued Contributor

Forget Fico 9 it’s worthless for getting a mortgage. You need Mortgage scores which you can obtain on this website. The very same scores your lender will use. You need to purchase Mtg Fico scores for each of you.
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

AllZero - Optimize My Scoring Potential

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.