cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child support considered a monthly debt?

tag
babypanda
Established Member

Child support considered a monthly debt?

I'm trying to see how much house I can afford. Online calculators are confusing, if I make 60K a year = $5,000 a month and pay $1000 a month in child support does it mean they will consider my income as $4000 monthly because they will subtract $1000 of child support as a debt. THANKS.
6 REPLIES 6
Gardenhand
Regular Contributor

Re: Child support considered a monthly debt?

Negative, from my experience it doesn't work this way. They will consider your income as 5,000 and your debt 1,000. Not your income 4,000 and your debt 0.
Message 2 of 7
babypanda
Established Member

Thank you. But it would still affect my overall qualification wouldn't it? Would you please share how debt worked from your experience?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Child support will count against your DTI when they calculate how much you can afford. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.Child support is calculated against your monthly DTI.I'm going through it now with a FHA loan process.

Message 5 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

child support does not reduce income. it is a debt payment

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@babypanda wrote:
Thank you. But it would still affect my overall qualification wouldn't it? Would you please share how debt worked from your experience?

Run your DTI ratio calculations. The child support will be part of your total debt ratio. What type of mortgage are you considering?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.