Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed account

tag
nelslt
Established Member

Closed account

So I am about 2 months from the completion of a new construction home.  I had a line of credit that was over the limit from BBVA that showed closed in 5/2013.  PNC bank merged with BBVA, now they are reporting the account.  I know they aren't supposed to be able to report to the credit bureau after 7 years.  Can they report since they merged?  The balance has since been paid off.  Who would I need to contact to dispute.  My score has dropped over 40 points.  

5 REPLIES 5
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Re: Closed account

Was this account ever brought current?  If it was, rather than chargedoff, it would remain for 10 years 

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 2 of 6
nelslt
Established Member

I just paid it off on Friday.  I had forgot about it since it was closed and I was no longer receiving any bank statements.  

Message 3 of 6
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@nelslt wrote:

I just paid it off on Friday.  I had forgot about it since it was closed and I was no longer receiving any bank statements.  

So they reported the account before you paid it off?

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 4 of 6
nelslt
Established Member

Yes. The same day I got the alert on my credit report I immediately went to the bank and paid it off. 

Message 5 of 6
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@nelslt wrote:

Yes. The same day I got the alert on my credit report I immediately went to the bank and paid it off. 

My best guess is they did a soft pull, saw that you had applied for a mortgage and started reporting the account again hoping you would pay it off. 

So now the question is, did they illegally re-age the debt. 

Under the FCRA, the creditor can report the debt for basically 7 years from when you went delinquent BUT that clock can be "reset" if you make a payment, acknowledge or inquire about the debt. 

If you think the creditor illegally re-aged your debt, dispute the account with the credit bureaus and file a complaint with the CFPB.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.