Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Costs and Prepaids

tag
agekeith22
Valued Member

Closing Costs and Prepaids

This is probably one of those unanswerable questions, but I thought I would give it a try.  I am trying to get a grasp on how much my closing costs and prepaids will be so I know how much I will need in savings.  My fear is starting the process and then not having enough money for closing.

I am looking at a 30 year conventional loan, my down payment would be 10%, with no points.  The max I would like to finance would be $385k, so a selling price of around $427k.  Now, I do know that taxes would be $9k per year and homeowners insurance would be about $3k per year and HOA $1k per year.  Based on a June close date, I have estimated my prepaids to be $9k and closing costs to be $9250.  This is not including any type of closing credit from the seller/builder.

Am I way off or in the ballpark here?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing Costs and Prepaids

I think I've read anywhere from 2-5% is fairly average typical.

No idea how accurate this is, but apparently myfico has a calculator: http://www.myfico.com/LoanCenter/Mortgage/Calculators/ClosingCosts.aspx

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Closing Costs and Prepaids

with no points.... costs should be about $3k-ish

prepaids around $6k

You dont even have to apply to get an estimate of fees from your chosen lender......

I have seen many people send in an application without a ss# just to get some rough numbers.....

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.