Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing conditions woes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing conditions woes

Hello everyone,

Been lurking on the forums for about a month now. We got approved with conditions, satisfied most of them but the 2 that are really hanging us up is the fact that I bought a mobile home with my ex-wife over about 10 years ago, we seperated and I haven't lived there in over 6 years nor paid any of the mortgage.

One of the conditions is to prove I don't live there anymore or provide homeowners insurance, mortgage statement, tax bill and HOA information, all of which I have no access to.

The mobile home sits on her grandparents property so there is no property other than the mobile home, so quit claim deed is out of the question for it, my address history for myself clearly shows I have not lived there for over 6 years now. I've submitted the divorce judement as well as a draft of the equitable distribution on which she got the mobile home. We have a child so in the end I just decided to let her have the mobile home and just not drag out going through court anymore.

Another sticking point is child support. It clearly states in the divorce judement that any alimony, child support etc. have already been settled outside of the divorce judement. She refused to accept any "help" from me and did not want any of "my money" even though I offered multiple times so I just settled with what she wanted.

I almost feel like they don't believe the divorce judgement! Stressing out because I don't know what else I can do except keep giving them what documentation I do have.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Closing conditions woes

If you need to prove you don't live there, then another way to do that is prove you live somewhere else.  You can do that with utility bills, paystubs, bank statements or practically anything that shows your mailing address.  If you pay rent to a landlord, then asking them to complete a Verification of Rent form (your lender will send them) should also work.  I would also accompany the documentation with your own letter of explanation.  

I don't get the 2nd condition, what is their/your question?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've provided bank statements with my current address and they've also already contacted my landlord and spoke to them to verify that as well. Working on trying to figure out what exactly they are looking for to fill that condition so we can move forward.

As for the 2nd item they were wanting to verify any child support payments (2nd time they have asked for this) as me and my ex-wife have a child between us, my ex-wife did not want any child support payments from me and it's documented in our divorce judgement that it was settled outside of the divorce judgement. I had supplied them with the divorce judgement documentation already, and they came back asking for parenting plan documents to verify child support payments, which there are no payments.

I'm going to call the loan processor tomorrow and hope I can get ahold of her to see if we can get all this cleared up. Just feels like I'm stuck in a loop of them asking for the same documents Smiley Sad.

Message 3 of 18
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Definitely reach out to your LO for answers--the processor may actually be versed in knowing what's required to submit to the UW for review and proof of your situation and circumstances.

Sounds to me like you will be fine, though.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoke to the loan processor this morning, looks like some how the mobile home that is now my ex-wife's was added as a investment property, which of course it isn't. Got that cleared up and just had to write 2 LOEs to cover the above issues. So back to UW everything goes and fingers crossed for CTC Smiley Happy.

Builder still hasn't given us a confirmed closing date, only an estimate (June 21st) which my LO is not too happy about because he can't lock our rate in without knowing a closing date, but everything is getting done and closer one step at a time.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update, heard back from the loan processor today again and had 3 more conditions, 1 was for latest bank account statement (expected due to having to wait on builder to finish and give us a solid date for closing), 1 was a LOE for a few large refunds in regards to us deciding not to travel this year in August and getting refunded (expected having to do this LOE), the last one though threw me for a bit of a loop.

Even though I provided all court documents and my divorce judgement papers, apparently it got escalated to UW management for review due to the fact that my ex-wife did not want any child support from me. I provided the LOE for this and the above court documents, but they now wanted an LOE signed AND notarized by my ex-wife Smiley Frustrated. Thankfully I was able to get it done and I'm hoping that settles all of that finally but it has been one uphill battle over it.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: How would they even know about possible child support if there's nothing to "alert" them? Do they look into court records or something? Just seems odd that it would even be brought up unless you said yes, you do pay the support. My husband has a son and he and his ex don't worry about child support-he just sends her money outside of any formal judgment which is not an issue between them. I am just wondering how it affects parents when they apply for a mortgage because it seems odd that they'd have a problem unless something dinged showing you didn't pay something that the courts mandated prior. Also, good luck to you and I hope you get your CTC soon!

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Question: How would they even know about possible child support if there's nothing to "alert" them? Do they look into court records or something? Just seems odd that it would even be brought up unless you said yes, you do pay the support. My husband has a son and he and his ex don't worry about child support-he just sends her money outside of any formal judgment which is not an issue between them. I am just wondering how it affects parents when they apply for a mortgage because it seems odd that they'd have a problem unless something dinged showing you didn't pay something that the courts mandated prior. Also, good luck to you and I hope you get your CTC soon!

I had to prove my divorce from my ex-wife who has the mobile home mortgage from 8 years ago that shows on my credit report, and in the divorce judgement at least in NC it will mention if you had any children in the marriage. That is what dinged with them to ask about child support. Made me feel like a bad guy when I tried to explain to them the situation, but I still support my daughter as much as her mother will allow me to Smiley Sad.

In mortgage news, got told today apprasial is coming back tomorrow and underwriter will be reviewing the whole file once they get it. Got told everything is still on schedule.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, I am glad to hear things are going your way! Hoping you close and move in soon! Best of luck Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I am glad to hear things are going your way! Hoping you close and move in soon! Best of luck Smiley Happy

Thanks!

We got word Friday closing is set for the 28th per the builder, so now the fun of waiting for the clear to close, packing what is left to be packed and just waiting (the hardest part!). We've started setting up transfering utilities etc. for that day after closing is done, trying to be as proactive and on top of everything as we can be so no last minute surprises.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.