Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signers rights

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Co-signers rights

Hi
I Under the TILA they are required to send monthly statements to the borrower. I would like to know if mortgage lenders are required to send monthly statements to the co-sign as well.

Thanks
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
JVille
Valued Contributor

Re: Co-signers rights

No, some do (rare) most don’t.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that legal?
Message 3 of 8
JVille
Valued Contributor

Yes, They send the stmts to the Primary Borrower with the address on file. There is nothing to say you can’t gain regular access online.
Message 4 of 8
JVille
Valued Contributor

You know many lenders have different abilities thru Technology. While multiple stmts to different borrowers is not normal it doesn’t cost anything to ask.
As a Co-Borrower you are wise to be concerned. In my 30 yrs of lending and underwriting I can’t tell you how many co-signers got completely screwed. Word of advice is to watch it monthly and Never let the acct be more than 25 days late! At 30 days past due it WILL begin to destroy your credit. Better yet you make the pmt and have the borrower pay you. Being a co-Signer is a uncomfortable place to be. The lender won’t usually reach out to you until the loan is very delinquent. Enough said, watch it closely and establish online access.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks
Message 6 of 8
JVille
Valued Contributor

My comments were not intended to scare you. But rather to watch this situation closely and not depend on the Primary Borrower to be concerned about your credit rating and just one late payment does lasting damage.... remember if you are ever in a position that you need to make a payment, to include the late fee that is also due or that payment will still be considered past due for purposes of what is reported on your credit report. Just monitor the acct closely! Good luck
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup thanks for the advice.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.