Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection during underwriting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection during underwriting

My middle score is already on the line 645 when they want 640. I got a new collection added to my report. Its on my already lowest score so it should not affect my middle score. Its a 200 debt that's six years old. Should I tell my loan officer? Try to pay it? They did say they will pull a new report before closing.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Collection during underwriting

Hi OP,

I think you should let your LO know ASAP so there are no surprises for her/him. Don't pay it unless your LO tell you otherwise.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 5
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the Forum - debt collectors tend to monitor mortgage applications using your name, SSN, etc and reports provided by the CRA's since they know an unpaid debt or collection can sink a mortgage application - it's added pressure to settle up. I'm not sure a 6-year-old $200 debt will sink your application, but I suspect your loan officer will request or at least suggest you take care of it. Since the debt collector is expecting your call - that's why the collection account popped up on your report - I suggest you offer a pay for delete for no more than the original debt (50% would be better) and you'll recover any scoring you lost in addition to making your L.O happy. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait, what? Collection agencies can monitor your credit report and know when you're applying for a mortgage?  How is that legal?  How can they pull your report without your permission.  Man that sounds shady but I bet it's an effective tactic Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 5
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

Stop and do nothing until you tell your LO. Don't even call the collection company until you have spoken to your LO.

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.