Did you mean: 

Collection more then 9 years- will underwriter force payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection more then 9 years- will underwriter force payment

Hello everyone

Question for mortgage / underwriter experts

Will mortgage underwriters make you pay OLD (more than 9-15 years old ) collection and charge off account (all from old credit cards) ? I am asking because I read that for Mortgages more then 150K credit reporting agencies can include accounts that more then 7-7.5 years old.

Facts

Number of Old charge acct about 8- ranging from $1200- $8000 dating back from 1996-99 does not currently show up on standard credit report but junk credit companies do send offers to settle (ie on 8000 charge off company offered 4300)

State is New York State . SOL is 6 years

I am thinking about applying for FHA loan in the 200K-230K range

FICO Scores 680-720

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection more then 9 years- will underwriter force payment

Banks are usually worries about judgements when it comes to collections.

Say you have an old account that is for 5K.  If they get a judgement against you and get a withholding order, they can take up to 25% of your check or so towards the order.  Banks worry that if something like that were to happen, you would default on the loan, so they like to see items that are large enough to be worth the creditor's time, and recent enough to be within SOL to be paid.  Older ones like yours, or small ones are usually ignored but may require a letter of explanation.

One thing to beware of though is if these collection companies have filed irreneous credit reports on the file if it is past the 7 years.  Sometimes they do that to try and force a settlement, especially if they see you app'ing for a home loan as they know the bank may require it paid.  You want to make sure none of them have done that, and if they have, you get it removed prior to applying as an UW will probably require it taken care of. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.