cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comps are killing the possible sell of my house.........

tag
tim2
Contributor

Comps are killing the possible sell of my house.........

All of the sells this year in my subdivision have been foreclosures.  Now there are no more forclosures but just wondering how the values in the subdivision will ever rebound seeing that the appraisals will always look at the recent sells.   For example,  the next house that sells will look at the recent sells when the appraisal is done, right?  It will never appraise higher than the last sell so how will the prices ever go up?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Trondul
Valued Member

Re: Comps are killing the possible sell of my house.........

When the market turns around there will be more buyers than sellers and sales will go into multiple offer situations (buyers trying to outbid each other).  This will drive the price higher than the recent comps and in turn become the new comp.   Right now, at least where I am, there are way more sellers than buyers.  And truth be told, the banks are probably sitting on properties and dribbling them out a little at a time to keep from really flooding the market. That said, my agent told me he was starting to see some of his clients get into multi-offer situations and was honestly surprised that it didn't happen on the townhouse foreclosure that I'm closing on next week. 

Message 2 of 10
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Trondul wrote:

When the market turns around there will be more buyers than sellers and sales will go into multiple offer situations (buyers trying to outbid each other).  This will drive the price higher than the recent comps and in turn become the new comp.   Right now, at least where I am, there are way more sellers than buyers.  And truth be told, the banks are probably sitting on properties and dribbling them out a little at a time to keep from really flooding the market. That said, my agent told me he was starting to see some of his clients get into multi-offer situations and was honestly surprised that it didn't happen on the townhouse foreclosure that I'm closing on next week. 

The other two possibilities are:

1) A buyer paying cash

2) A buyer coming to the table with some cash, who is able to close the gap

Both those senarios would eliminate the comps problem for a buyer, and allow the comps to increase in price.

Message 3 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@Trondul wrote:

They were slowly dribbling houses out in my area, too.  When we were looking for a house we had a hard time finding any to look at. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 10
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Tax assessors will ignore foreclosure comps on the basis they aren't "arms length transaction between a willing buyer and a willing seller".  I would discuss this with one or more local reral estate agents to see if there are any steps you can take to get adjustments on appraisal.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I didn't know the tax man gets to ignore the foreclosures.  But the appraiser can't ignore them.  Totally backward and unfair system to homeowners and buyers.

Message 6 of 10
GregB
Valued Contributor

The appraiser uses the "best" comps available. If there aren't any recent "normal" sales, then he is forced to use foreclosures.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my house listed now, and most of the recent sells in my area are foreclosures. My agent did tell me they do not use those as comps, only normal sells. I had one that was recent in my area that was a normal sell, the rest were foreclosures and for sale by owner.. 

Message 8 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

There were 6 comps on my appraisal and 3 were foreclosures.
Message 9 of 10
GregB
Valued Contributor

Appraisals have 3 comps that are used for detailed calculations. They also try to add 3 more comps to show that other house sales are similar but those are not used in the detailed calculations. You might look at this as coming up with 6 comps and then using the best three in the front section of the appraisal for detailed calculations.

This is the way it works in the two states of my experience. I suppose it could vary elsewhere.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.