cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conditionally approved and then denied???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Conditionally approved and then denied???

Hi,
I was pre approved and then conditionally approved. After a month of waiting I was denied by the underwriter for an FHA loan.

Background: low credit score (averages 610). Debt: student loans $38k (income driven payment $0), authorized user on a cc (2,000 limit owe $757), car loan (7 months left owe $2400 one late), $1,200 in old debt. That’s it.

Income: $28k at full time job & $2k at a part time job.

House: land contract. Established 7 years ago. Trust fund that owns the home wants me to get a loan ASAP due to trust closing/ land contract being up. County appraised home at $164k. My purchase price is $120k.

Problem: if I don’t get a loan soon I will lose the house plus lose $50k in the equity of the land contract.

Question: I was conditionally approved with Carrington Mortgage and then denied do to dti. Are there any other companies that will consider me ? And how can I get my credit score up to 620 ? If I get it to a 620... is there more wiggle room with dti ?
19 REPLIES 19
JVille
Valued Contributor

Re: Conditionally approved and then denied???

Have you worked the 2nd job a full FULL 24 months? And was the FHA Appraisal done yet?
Message 2 of 20
JVille
Valued Contributor

$1200 Old Debt exactly what does that mean? Is this a collection? And what is the Date on that debt?
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The fha appraisal was not done.
My second job (part time): I have worked at for 3 years. It’s a job where I can work as little or more if I want. 3 years ago, I worked 4 12 hour shifts a month. Then I cut back to one or 2 12 hour shifts a month the last 2 years. The underwriter basically red flagged me because my part time employment hours dropped from 2016 to 2017. If I knew that I was going to be discriminated for that... I would have kept doing 4 12 hour shifts a month.
Message 4 of 20
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

If it was DTI that caused the denial, then getting your score up probably won't help. You need to get some debt down. What is your DTI percentage? I think FHA does not really do anything much over about 31-43% but have seen some posts here with people saying they have done them over 50%. Not sure whether there where other compensating factors such as reserves, down payment size, etc.. that allowed a higher DTI

See what FHA.com says about it here and how to calculate DTI if you don't know what your's is.

https://www.fha.com/fha_requirements_debt

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection debt that is 3 - 5 years old.
Message 6 of 20
JVille
Valued Contributor

That is an UW Judgement call, a different lender will have a new set of eyes. We are now 5 months into 2018 and the should be looking at the hours worked the first 5 months of this year too. Are those hours in line with 2017?
If you are working with a RE Agent then they should have their own “go to” lender when the going gets tough! Go get another lender.

What is the OLD debt, if it’s a charge off or collection then that is part of the score issue. Please provide details.
Message 7 of 20
JVille
Valued Contributor

Is this one acct or more, is it Medical or??? Please this is important.
Message 8 of 20
JVille
Valued Contributor

Need to know who these collections are in order to advise on each one. These are holding your score down. Medical are handled differently than say Verizon or Capital One.
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for helping...
Kohl’s account that was a charge offin ‘15 for $574
Collections:
Capital one $400
Buckeye lending solutions $300
Progressive insurance $111
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.